Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 Man thats cold - 12/16/08 04:40 PM
Hi there, I just have one question about your Algonquin Outdoor Speakers. I live in Regina, Sask, Canada and as you may know it gets cold here. What I wanted to know was can the Algonquin Outdoor Speakers withstand -40/-50C winters outside? Of course I will not be playing them in that kind of cold (unless I get a hot tub) , I just wanted to know if I would need to take them in during the winter. Since I'm lazy I would prefer to just leave them up. Would just leaving them up effect the sound from years of very cold to a few months of very hot (we have long winters).

\:D Edit: lets say I did get a hot tub could I play them in that kind of cold just wondering.

Thanks for your help

Posted By: jakewash Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 04:44 PM
I know they test them down to -20 and I would suspect at the extreme we see on the prairies the Algonquins would still be alright. There are many that have them and one member is using them at -25 when he is out in his hot tub. They are a little subdued but still working.
Posted By: rage96 Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info jake, since you live in Calgary you know what I mean about cold winters. Now just need that hot tub, then I can convince the wife to get a pair of Algonquin Outdoor Speakers.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 05:35 PM
We just went through a -28c spell here over the past week, much like yourself. We are now upto a balmy -15C. It was -10 at 2AM last night and snowing. Seems like almost everyone is experiencing some weird weather these days.
Posted By: CV Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 05:50 PM
Finally, we can talk about the weather without people thinking we're boring.
Posted By: rage96 Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 09:42 PM
Winter in Canada, all everyone talks about is the weather, b/c its so dam cold. -30C with wind chill up to -40/-50C
Posted By: icehawk21 Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 09:49 PM
rage96,

jakewash indicated above that another member was using the Algonquin speakers at -25 to -30 while sitting in his hot tub. That is me! I actually posted a thread a couple of days ago on this topic and Alan Lofft (Axiom Expert) replied. You might want to check it out ( Previous thread )

Basically, you should be fine to leave them out over the winter. I left them out over the last winter (2007/2008) and they didn't suffer any damage. And I've played them over the last couple of days at -30 degrees. However, they don't sound as good as normal - somewhat subdued and not as rich and detailed.

Check out the thread and it should answer your questions.

Bryan
Posted By: rage96 Re: Man thats cold - 12/16/08 09:52 PM
Thanks bryan I guess I should have looked down abit before posting, my bad. Thanks for the tip i will read that post, thanks again for the heads up and info guys.
Posted By: myrison Re: Man thats cold - 12/17/08 01:21 AM
Well, to be fair, who would've thought that question would have come up independently within two days... \:\)

You'd think Axiom would sell more outdoor speakers in the summer. Who knew about the huge hot tubbing in the dead of winter Axiom population!? \:\)
Posted By: bridgman Re: Man thats cold - 12/18/08 02:09 AM
>>Well, to be fair, who would've thought that question would have come up independently within two days...

Well, it is REALLY FREAKIN' COLD outside ;\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Man thats cold - 12/18/08 03:26 AM
So true... but who thinks to buy outdoor speakers in the midst of a blizzard!?

Not those of us in TX, we hunker down and don't dream of going outside until it's at least 50 or 60 degrees again!
© Axiom Message Boards