Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Graeme L Sub boom - 12/17/08 06:30 PM
Didn't know what to call this title, anyway I was wondering why the sub seems louder in another room?

We have the radio running all the time when not watching TV. In the lounge where the receiver is, the volume is quite low as is the sound from the sub.

But when we go to bedroom which is located across a small hallway approx 30 feet from the sub with the door closed (or open) the sub is quite a bit louder and boomy.
Posted By: Murph Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 06:38 PM
As a total non expert, I'm going to guess that your primary listening room is similar to mine in that the shape and other variables actually cause the LFE soundwaves to reflect back on each other and in effect, cancel themselves out to some degree. In the adjoining room, there is less cancellation so what you are hearing is closer to the true output level of the sub.

The big wide soundwaves of LFE usually have no issues traveling through walls so the wall is actually acting as much less of a deterrent than is the particular shape and other attributes of the main room. The result, is that it actually IS louder in the adjoining room.
Posted By: alan Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 06:47 PM
Hi Graeme L,

Glad to hear you've got the sub up and working. What you are hearing is likely due to a couple of factors. You may simply be hearing some of the very long wavelengths of low frequencies (some are 40 feet long) better because you are farther away from the subwoofer.

The other factor at play is room modes, which result from the varying dimensions of the spaces in your home. These will interact with low frequency wavelengths and cause areas of much more intense bass and areas of cancellation, where you may hear only a little bass.

I experience a similar phenomenon from my EP500 in my apartment. I have a long narrow kitchen and long narrow bathroom. When I play ultra-deep bass, the power of the low frequencies at the end of my kitchen or the bathroom is breath-taking. Those areas would be about 30 to 40 feet away from the EP500 in my living room.

Regards,
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, wonder if it sounds the same the other way around. I should get a really long cable and put the sub in the bedroom That would really impress the little lady.
Posted By: myrison Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 08:28 PM
Better yet, get a really long cable and another EP500. That way you can experience the ultra low thump in both rooms. \:\)

Jason
Posted By: RickF Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 08:46 PM
Cool catch phrase, "Su-BOOM!" ... has a nice little ring to it.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Sub boom - 12/17/08 08:55 PM
That's the exact same issue that I'm having. I feel virtually no bass in my home theater/den, but when I go within 2 feet of my sub or into the back bedroom (the sub is about 5 ft. from the door) I can feel it, but nothing of the sort where I actually want to feel it. I'm assuming that this is due to poor location but it's really odd.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 02:11 AM
Probably. One of the forum members had 2x EP600 and still wasn't getting great bass. We knew it had to be going somewhere, so after some wandering around he found that there was fantastic bass in the computer room around the corner and maybe 15' away from the listening area.

Putting the subwoofers in the computer room probably would have worked well (things are pretty symmetrical at those frequencies, that's why sub crawls work so well) but there just wasn't enough room ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 03:06 PM
My square room gets it's best bass in the corners, where no one sits. A sub crawl found that a sub location in a corner close to an alcove where my HT shelf sits reduced this effect the most.

This worked well for me as it created a natural looking placement for it.
Posted By: cgolf Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 05:19 PM
Now this really is a WOW!! I have the same issue when I'm upstairs. The bass is much crisper and tighter than where the sub is. So the obvious question with a not so obvious answer is "how do we correct this and get the outside bass back inside where it belongs??? I pine to have my bass back........
Posted By: fredk Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 05:24 PM
Move the HT to a concrete room. It will keep all that bass in the room.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 05:25 PM
I have the same effect with my kitchen. The bass from the sub is higher there and, in the opposite direction, I also hear the fridge's deep bass louder in the living room (which is an annoyance)!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 05:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Move the HT to a concrete room. It will keep all that bass in the room.

Or put up a "no bass trespassing" sign.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 05:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
I have the same effect with my kitchen. The bass from the sub is higher there and, in the opposite direction, I also hear the fridge's deep bass louder in the living room (which is an annoyance)!

Maybe you should plug the fridge into the HT and put your beers in the sub

There sure are a few with this problem, maybe this would be a good article for Alan when he finds an answer ;\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Sub boom - 12/18/08 06:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: Graeme L

There sure are a few with this problem, maybe this would be a good article for Alan when he finds an answer ;\)

Yes that would be nice \:\)
Posted By: Shane White Re: Sub boom - 12/19/08 12:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: alan

I experience a similar phenomenon from my EP500 in my apartment. I have a long narrow kitchen and long narrow bathroom. When I play ultra-deep bass, the power of the low frequencies at the end of my kitchen or the bathroom is breath-taking. Those areas would be about 30 to 40 feet away from the EP500 in my living room.

Your neighbours are even further away - they must be getting fantastic bass ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards