Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Robert Baker Mid Base ep125 - 01/11/09 11:10 PM
Hi all. Currently have an ep125 and am going to upgrade to an EP 500. What I am trying to figure out, (and want to try) is if their is a way I can use both subwoofers. More specifically, Use the ep125 for upper base 90-120, then use the ep 500 for the bottom end. HSU resesrch has been doing something similiar and now sells an upper bass sub, crossed over from to cover from 90-129. Can anyone think of how i can cross my ep 125 over similiarly?
Posted By: lhulls Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 12:41 AM
Hello Robert

You could position the AVR and the 8 inch sub at their highest crossover points and then try (repeat: TRY) to smooth in the 12 inch at a lower crossover point.
Remember, you can adjust the upper limit of the subwoofer, but the lower extension is determined by the design of the sub.
There really is no reason to attempt this though, as the mains (L&R spks) should easily handle the upper bass region.
The EP500 should also quite handedly perform in this frequency region.
Enjoy your system!! \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 12:56 AM
I believe that ED makes something that will give you both a highpass and lowpass filter for around $160.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 01:05 AM
Welcome Robert, What speakers are you running? I also feel your speakers should be more than enough to handle the mid-bass. My M22s are plentifull in the mid-bass region, I couldn't imagine needing more.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 01:21 AM
I can't figure out how you would use both of these in one room. the EP500 does such a good job I can't imagine an additional EP125 would make any improvment. It's a geat little sub, but, it's no EP500.

If it were me, I would keep you EP500 for your HT and use your EP125 in a home office or 2nd listening room.

Just a thought.

pn
Posted By: myrison Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 01:59 AM
I use two subs of varying quality in the same room with good results (an overall flat response curve), but to flatten the combined response of the two subs I rely on an external equalizer.

The Behringer Feedback Destroyer ( link ) allows you to equalize two channels (subwoofers) individually to produce a more flat response in your room.

On the other hand, you could go the simple route and just plug them both in and see how it sounds without any external adjustment. ;\)

Jason
Posted By: Robert Baker Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 07:30 AM
That sounds like the picture. Can you be more specific about ED or provide a weblink?
Posted By: Robert Baker Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 07:32 AM
Just seems to me that at specific times, musical notes are dispersed across the spectrum By splitting the freq response, simultaneous sounds may strain a single subwoofer. Just trying it.
Posted By: Robert Baker Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 07:32 AM
I also have m22s.
Posted By: Robert Baker Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 07:35 AM
So is HSU just trying to sell more product? It seems to make sense to me, sharing the frequency load among 2 units in the bottom end. Much as an M60 splits the freq response among three seperately tuned speakers...Thoughts?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 04:28 PM
I think the MBM is designed for those with very small sattelites that do not play well down to the subs usual range of 80hz and below, as the M22s reach down to 50 hz easily I do not think you will notice a huge improvement for the money spent on one. Now that you have a spare 8" driver I guess you have nothihng to lose but time trying it out.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mid Base ep125 - 01/12/09 06:32 PM
Keep in mind those mid-lower bass frequencies can start to sound directional, too!
© Axiom Message Boards