Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 05:55 PM
What happens to the sound of a center speaker if the positive and negitive connections are switched? I know it has something to do with phase, but since it is a center, by listening how do you know it is wired correctly. And does it even matter?

pn
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 06:02 PM
not sure, but I know the DVD's Avia and DVE Essentials has test to make sure all your speakers are in phase. I'm sure it would sound different in some way.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 06:10 PM
It will still be 180 degrees out of phase with the mains... and since it shares some program material with them, that would be bad.

Bren R.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 07:28 PM
Generally, the out of phase speaker lacks bass and sounds funny.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 07:40 PM
it sounds out of phase. \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 07:53 PM
Worf:
It does matter.

If you can't check the polarity (wire in-wall, for instance), here's how it's traditionally done:

1- Disconnect one of your mains, and move the other as close to the center as you can.

2- Set both for "Large in your receiver.

3- Play a mono signal through both speakers with a decent amount of bass.

4- Try switching the polarity of the center speakers' wires back and forth to see if one way has more bass. That orientation is the correct polarity.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 08:45 PM
Well, aren't YOU just Mr. Helpful today.
Posted By: RickF Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:04 PM
I'm impressed!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:16 PM
Thanks Mark,

I was wondering if I could unplug the positive or negitive from the amp and put a volt meter to each wire at the other end. The one that registers juice would be the one plugged in. Would that work too?

paul
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:17 PM
::While Running Away, Makes Fart Noises with Armpit so as to Not Ruin Reputation::
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:33 PM
Not the flying half-chicken fart move!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
Thanks Mark,

I was wondering if I could unplug the positive or negitive from the amp and put a volt meter to each wire at the other end. The one that registers juice would be the one plugged in. Would that work too?

paul
Actually if you unplug from the amp you would be getting no voltage/reading ;\)

Yes, you could check for the voltage at the speaker end with the wires off the speaker and a volt meter, this would give you the correct polarity, if a negative voltage shows up on the meter you know you are connecting the meter backwards.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:44 PM
Though your idea would still allow you to check for continuity with a multimeter....

Use all safety precautions! Unplug, discharge static, wear hearing and eye protection, don't operate heavy machinery, beware of erections lasting longer than four hours...yadda, yadda, yadda...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 09:50 PM
ain't no juice without no circuit...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/04/09 10:20 PM
I love Google Search also....
Posted By: mrbiggyworth Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/11/09 02:12 AM
You could disconnect amp & speaker. Then connect a 9 Volt battery at one end and check the other with a DC voltmeter to identify each wire.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/11/09 05:28 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Well, aren't YOU just Mr. Helpful today.

I think it's just a phase he's going through.
Posted By: el_giovato Re: Center Speaker wiring - 02/13/09 03:26 PM
Another simple method to check for polarity is to use a AA battery. Disconnect the speaker wires from the amp, and connect the 1.5V AA battery to the 2 leads. If the woofer on the center speaker moves outward, the lead that was on the positive of the battery is the positive. If the woofer moves inward, the lead that was on the positive of the battery is the negative. Using a AA battery ensure the voltage going to the speaker is low enough to not cause any damage.
© Axiom Message Boards