Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CooLJ92 Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/13/09 05:56 PM
sealed inside a secondary, isolated chamber?

Just curious.

jj
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/13/09 06:06 PM
As far as I know, yes, they are. The M80s are definitely segregated.
Really? I didn't know that....

Cool!
I'll take my 80's apart and look tonight, NOT>
Posted By: Wid Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/13/09 10:59 PM

The M80s are divided into sections. I recall Brandon taking his apart and posting pics.
id love to see any pics of axiom speakers guted , if any have please post them . thanks
Rick, you must own a chainsaw, huh?
Posted By: Wid Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/14/09 02:13 AM

No chainsaw Mark....???
Posted By: CooLJ92 Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/14/09 02:21 AM
Wonder if Axiom has a rendering of the M60s and M80s as they do with the Algonquins at this link:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/outdoor_speakers.html
Posted By: fredk Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/14/09 03:58 AM
I think the original audioholics review of the M80 (~2002) had some pics of the inside of the cabinet.
 Originally Posted By: wid

No chainsaw Mark....???

Oh, I've got three chainsaws. I just figured "You go ahead first"...
Posted By: CV Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/14/09 03:49 PM
Chainsaw juggler?
Posted By: lhulls Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/14/09 05:18 PM
the midrange driver(s) are segregated, I believe with cylindrical tubes if memory serves.
About the M80's: According to an audioholics review:

"Let's talk ports for a moment. The M80ti(s) have three each, one on front and two on the back. The midrange drivers are completely isolated from the rest of the speakers via the internal chamber construction. The triple vortex ports are tuned solely for the dual 6.5" low frequency woofers, which contributes to them attaining such good frequency response."

And about the M60's:
The 5.25” woofer is actually encased in a sealed cylindrical enclosure. This ensures the proper box volume for the midrange to operate and isolation from the rest of the enclosure for optimal performance.
Now that I think about it, every >2-way speaker I've owned (well, both of them; a Fischer and a JBL) has been constructed this way with the isolated mid-range.

When I took them apart I didn't think anything extraordinary about the configuration. It just seemed the right thing to do. Are there manufacturers out there that expose the mid-range cone to the back-pressure of the woofer?
Posted By: lhulls Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/15/09 04:45 PM
“cylindrical tubes”
Hmmm - that’s a little redundant

Posted By: fredk Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/15/09 06:28 PM
Actually, I would think a cylindrical tube would be a doughut.

Mmmmm, doughnuts.
Posted By: CV Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/15/09 06:32 PM
You're making the bagels cry.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 02/15/09 06:52 PM
Cylindrical Tubes....a new Mike Oldfield album maybe?
Posted By: CooLJ92 Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 03/03/09 04:18 PM
OK, my tweeter went out over the weekend on one of my M60Ti. Removed the tweeter to confirm it was dead and did notice that the woofers are isolated from the mid and the tweeter. I also noticed the cylinder behind the mid. Very interesting. So yes, I've answered my own initial question that infact the woofers are separated from the mid and tweeter. No "chainsaw" needed this time around as the tweeter was very easy to remove.

Thank you all for responding.

jj
Posted By: davekro Re: Question: Are the M60 and M80 woofers... - 03/10/09 01:09 AM
Cool,
If it still apart, can you post some pictures?
© Axiom Message Boards