Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik denon 3808 - 02/19/09 01:20 PM
has anyone seen a more complicated remote?? I still can't figure out how to use switch from one input to another! I have my pvr hooked up directly to the tv and the optical running from the pvr to the denon for sound, but i can't, for the life of me, figure out how to select optical!

That's one thing about the Onkyo's their remotes are pretty much straight forward!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 01:43 PM
have you gone into the "setup" menus of the Denon and told it which input is optical, etc.
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 02:49 PM
uhhhh... nope. Don't know how to do that... can you tell me? and can you tell me how to program the "quick buttons" (1 - 2 - 3)?

when I use the source knob on the receiver I get it to work, but this remote sucks a$$... hehe... definitely not for noobs!

even the button that says "RC SETUP" doesn't take me to anything! Why they can't just make it simple, I'll never know.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 03:52 PM
I don't have that model, but on my Denon 2805, you have to go into the setup menu, and there is a category for assigning your inputs like coax, optical, component, etc. and what source DVD, TV, VHS, your using for those connections.

They if you want DVD, you just push the DVD button on your remote, if you want CD, you push CD on your remote.
Posted By: michael_d Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 04:33 PM
Ditch the OEM remote and get yourself an aftermarket programmable. Harmony or URC makes great remotes.

Most folks with systems buy aftermarket, so the OEM's don't put much effort into their component remotes anymore.
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 05:07 PM
i just finished programming the harmony 880.. but for some reason I'm not sold on the idea that ALL of the functions in the main remote of the denon will be accessible in the harmony. But then again, it's not like I know enough about this stuff to actually use it properly. Anyone know where I can go to find out how to configure both the denon AND the Harmony to optimal settings?
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 05:11 PM
Quick question about the Harmony remote... I want to be able to play my ipod dock (which is already programmed) while being allowed to have the TV on at the same time. When I'm watching tv and switch to listen to the ipod my tv closes, but sometimes I want to keep it on (like when there's a hockey game on or something)... Anyone know how I can set this up?
Posted By: jakewash Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 06:23 PM
To keep the video working while listening to the iPod you have to select the video source for the ipod inout in the GUI(menu system) Something like menu-source select-iPod-input-video select- TV(or what ever the input is you have used for the TV video input)
Posted By: peenerhead Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 06:32 PM
I have 2 Denon receivers that I do this on. All I do is assign the HDMI for the TV to both. My audio inputs for music and tv are both optical and the video is HDMI. So my setup is OPT 1 and HDMI 1 for music and OPT 2 and HDMI 1 for tv. I don't know if you can do this if you are sending your sound via HDMI but I would think you could.
Posted By: Murph Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 07:23 PM
Many of the URC remotes are much more programmable and would allow you to create a set of buttons that could control both without switching modes. A bit longer to set them up but basically the sky is the limit as to how you make them work.

I'm not familiar with the higher end Harmonies but maybe the ones with the LCD screens would allow you to do the same.

Either way, you definitely want to invest in a model where you can change the onscreen labels of some buttons (or touchscreen.) Then it is as intuitive as you choose to make it.

The above workarounds will work as well but when my Dad, who still refuses to get a bank card, comes over and intuitively knows how to watch TV or listen to the radio, I took some pride all the time I invested into my remote setup.
Posted By: onn Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 07:29 PM
Or a simpler route is to program another application to turn the tv on with the ipod that way you'll have 2 choices, one with tv another without.
Mel N.
Posted By: Murph Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 07:33 PM
Where is the expensive gadget buying & hours of painstaking programming fun in that solution? ;\)
Posted By: onn Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 07:46 PM
Your right, what was I thinking, I withdraw my answer
Posted By: doormat Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 07:59 PM
To change devices use the requisite number buttons (granted not easy to read in the dark).

Originally Posted By: majik
and can you tell me how to program the "quick buttons" (1 - 2 - 3)?

Set up the inputs for what you want (i/p, vol, eq, etc) then simply press and hold the quick select button until quick select lights. You can change the name of the QS under Manual Setup -> Option Setup -> Quick Select Name

(manual pg 58, 35)

Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 08:51 PM
Anyone know how to add a delphi xm2go to the remote?
Posted By: doormat Re: denon 3808 - 02/19/09 08:58 PM
I don't have sat radio but TU Dev 2 (hit TU twice) is already slated for XM (pg 61).

For more functionality, if there is no code then you may have to just "learn" it.

Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/20/09 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the input! got it up and running! much easier with the Harmony (once it's programmed)...

I know you won't believe it but it wasn't me... I actually WAS doing it properly but every time I would go back to it, it would only show "system options" on the remote... googled and found out that there's an issue with the battery being loose and losing contact in some remotes... That's what the problem was with mine, fixed it with a piece of paper and it's been working like a charm ever since!

As for the denon... love the machine, HATE the manual!! lol
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/21/09 01:20 PM
i have my onkyo ipod dock hooked up to the 3808 and it was working fine 2 days ago but since then I can't get any sound. I must admit I did fiddle with the buttons on the oem remote, so I'm thinking I must have done something to cause this, but i can't figure out what.

the only other thing i've done is set up the harmony 880, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

any ideas?
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/21/09 06:33 PM
no ideas? anyone?
Posted By: jakewash Re: denon 3808 - 02/21/09 07:42 PM
Recheck the settings for the Ipods input on the 3808, make sure the input source select hasn't changed etc.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: denon 3808 - 02/21/09 09:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: majik
I must admit I did fiddle with the buttons on the oem remote, so I'm thinking I must have done something to cause this, but i can't figure out what.

The best way to solve this is to run through all of your settings on the 3808 again. You might also try simply turning the small knob on the 3808 that changes all of the inputs to see if that gets you to the right input for the iPod.

A google with 3808, iPod wouldn't hurt if you are still stuck.

After having read through this thread, it appears that a little time spent inside the manual (we ARE guys after all) might be a good thing too. ;\)

Just another thought. If you have handled the iPod recently, check to make sure it's volume is turned up.
Posted By: jakewash Re: denon 3808 - 02/22/09 12:48 AM
I am not sure there is any benefit to be had from some time spent in one of Denon's manuals, except maybe the need for some medication afterwards.
Posted By: onn Re: denon 3808 - 02/22/09 12:51 AM
It does help in liquor sales though \:D
Posted By: majik Re: denon 3808 - 02/22/09 02:00 PM
yeah Ray3... I did read the manual.. and not about to do that again! lol!

I did find the issue, I - like an idiot - took the cables out the other day and put them back in the vcr/ipod output instead of the input. The thing about it is I seriously checked the cables about 4 or 5 times to make sure they were in the sockets properly without realizing I wasn't in the right spot (kinda like my first time! lol)...

anyhow, all is well now.

I just want to add that I STRONGLY recommend the logitech harmony 880!!! what an amazing remote.

I just wish I knew more about how to get the most out of the 3808... what the optimal settings are for my tv, playstation, etc... etc..
Posted By: jakewash Re: denon 3808 - 02/22/09 11:48 PM
The optimal settings are the ones you like the best and works ;\) .

What settings are you referring to, speakers? I run all of my inputs with the same speaker settings and I use DPLII cinema or neo:cinema for TV and games, I tend to switch between the 2 on ocassion.
© Axiom Message Boards