Axiom Home Page
Posted By: peenerhead I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 04:49 PM
Last week I bought the Rotel RMB-1575. I am using a Denon 4308 as my preamp. Everything was just terrific until I installed and setup Audyssey on the Denon yesterday. Since running the setup the 1575 shuts itself down after a minute or 2. I did a hard reset on the Denon and disabled Audyssey which helped a little. When I go back to the Channel Level Adj on the Denon the 1575 shuts down the left (Front & Surround) and center channel immediately (right front and right surround channels still play) before the test tone is ever heard. Could Audyssey have damaged the Rotel or the Axioms?

My current setup is as follows:

Denon 4308CI as Pre-Amp
Rotel RMB-1575 running 2 M80s, 1 VS150, 2 QS8s
I have 2 other M80s and 2 QS8s but was apprehensive about swapping them out.

-Peener
Posted By: peenerhead Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 05:52 PM
Well I guess I figured out that the left front speaker has a problem. After disconnecting it the problem went away. I hooked up one of the other M80s and it plays fine. Maybe it is just coincidence, but it seems that Audyssey may have caused this problem. I am assumming that the woofer is blown on the faulty M80 since the amp only seemed to shut off during the lows. Has anyone else heard of problems with Audyssey and M80s?

-Peener
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 07:44 PM
Hope Rotel as not merged with Emotiva. ;\) sorry....

Have you tried switching the speaker cables from the left/right 80 to see if the problem follows the speaker?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 09:09 PM
wasn't there a problem with using audyssey with the a1400-8 amplifier... I think there was a risk of damaging your speakers or something. could this same problem apply to the amp peenerhead is using?
Posted By: CV Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 09:11 PM
The official line from Ian was that there is no problem using Audyssey with the A1400-8, and I thought people were thinking Audyssey was killing the amp, not the speakers.
Posted By: RickF Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 09:19 PM
Audyssey killed the audio amp ... oops, wrong song.

Carry on.
Posted By: peenerhead Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 10:42 PM
I actually switched the suspect speaker to the Denon and it popped the Denon right away. I am sure that I have a blow speaker(woofer at least) but I would like to know the root cause. Is it possible that Audyssey caused this problem? I know that Audyssey adjusted the crossover and I am wondering if this made the internal crossover of the M80 fail?

-Peener
Posted By: Wid Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 10:47 PM
 Quote:
Hope Rotel as not merged with Emotiva.

Do ya suppose Denon joined them too
Posted By: Wid Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 10:48 PM

Definitely something to ask Axiom about. I wouldn't begin to know.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/01/09 10:55 PM
Have you tried just the "good" speaker with the Denon and the Rotel and did they shut down?
Posted By: Zimm Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 12:03 AM
I can see a faulty Eq and signal test burning a driver if done really badly. Then again, sometimes drivers just blow from normal use - they are mechanical after all. I blew a tweeter on my PSBs in ordinary listening.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 12:10 AM
Have you just recently recieved your system? If so, something might have come loose inside the suspect M80 and is now causing a problem.
Posted By: JohnK Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 02:13 AM
P, where a particular speaker causes an amplifier to immediately shut down, that indicates an internal short in that speaker's wiring which wouldn't necessarily include a driver itself being "blown". If you can open up the speaker to see if a speaker lead has come loose that would be helpful. In any case, it wouldn't appear that changes to crossover settings and frequency adjustments, whether done manually or by an automatic system, would have such an effect.
Posted By: peenerhead Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 01:23 PM
Thanks John,

I will take the speaker apart and inspect the connections.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 01:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
I blew a tweeter on my PSBs ...

Shouldn't the tweeter be having the smoke instead of the baby?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/02/09 03:59 PM
Does he have feathers stuck in his teeth?
Posted By: peenerhead Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/03/09 01:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
P, where a particular speaker causes an amplifier to immediately shut down, that indicates an internal short in that speaker's wiring which wouldn't necessarily include a driver itself being "blown". If you can open up the speaker to see if a speaker lead has come loose that would be helpful. In any case, it wouldn't appear that changes to crossover settings and frequency adjustments, whether done manually or by an automatic system, would have such an effect.

I have taken the speaker apart (metric Allen wrench needed...Darn Canadians ) and there are no loose or shorted connections. I checked resistance on each individual driver and all readings are the same with 0.1 Ohm with that of its counterpart. Is there anything else I can check? If not, can I just send the innards of the speaker back to Axiom of do I have to send the whole thing?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/03/09 01:35 PM
Axiom will have to tell you what the next step would be...
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/03/09 02:29 PM
I could make a sarcastic comment about a 'good' Rotel amp having problems driving M80's, but I'll resist. I know that Wid lives near enough to me that he can probably find me. And I know he's a gun collector. \:o ;\)

After helping satkatr with his 3808's network problem, I feel obligated to point out that you should make sure to check all the simple stuff. ;\)

Originally Posted By: peenerhead
Last week I bought the Rotel RMB-1575. I am using a Denon 4308 as my preamp. Everything was just terrific until I installed and setup Audyssey on the Denon yesterday.

Double check all of the cables and wiring that were affected by this swap. If you put a new amp in your system, you would have disconnected at least some of the speaker wires and re-attached them to the amp. Check all of these. Make sure one of them doesn't have a wire strand that's slipped out and is touching the chassis or something, for example.

Double check whatever RCA/XLR cables you're using between your Denon and the Rotel. Try swapping them to see if you can make the 'bad' channel move. Make darn sure that there isn't something wrong with one of your wires before you go ripping into your M80's.

But yes, from the troubleshooting you've already done, it sure does sound like you've somehow got a bad M80. Definitely get Axiom involved with this. From past experiences described around here and since you seem comfortable taking your M80's apart, it's likely that Axiom will just send you whatever replacement parts they feel appropriate. Easier & cheaper for them to send you a new woofer or crossover rather than you having to send all of the innards back to them.

I'd just call them and describe the problem. They'll help.

Edit: Lucky post # 777 for me. Woot.
Posted By: Wid Re: I am having an Aud problem - 03/03/09 02:50 PM
 Quote:
I could make a sarcastic comment about a 'good' Rotel amp having problems driving M80's, but I'll resist. I know that Wid lives near enough to me that he can probably find me. And I know he's a gun collector. \:o ;\)

I just had my holographic sight bore sighted too \:\)

It's clearly a speaker problem and not an amp problem. Most certainly call Axiom, not Rotel
© Axiom Message Boards