Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/13/09 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/13/09 04:00 PM

Amazing... I'm hanging on till capacities of ssd drives increase before I jump in.
Certainly fantastic technology, and probably the future of storage. But I still have concerns over their long-term reliability, especially in R/W-heavy applications.

And they're still so freaking expensive compared to 'normal' hard drives.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/13/09 04:56 PM
Yeah, that's an awesome video. I keep thinking about using one in my next build, which will probably happen in several months. I wanted to do it earlier this year, but there's no good options in the upper midrange right now.
Yeah, I saw that the other day. AMAZING.

Actually, 3 of us at my office are now SSD converts. We saw a thread on Gizmodo a few weeks ago talking about taking a Dell Mini 9 and turning it into a Hackintosh, basically hacking OSX onto it. There was a sale for an 8GB SSD Mini 9 w/ Ubuntu for $200. We all bought one but the price doubled because we wanted Bluetooth, camera and 64GB SSD. We got the 512MB memory and bought 2GB DIMMS for $20.

We have legal copies of OSX and Windows 7. (Granted Apple has clarified their position on the EULA...) We spent most of 1 day configuring one machine for dual boot of OSX and Windows 7. WORKS GREAT. Then we mirrored (dd for you Linux fans) the SSD and copied it to the other Mini 9's. Now we've got our own version of Macbook Airs for <$500. Not too shabby.

Posted By: CV Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/14/09 01:53 AM
Very nice. I wonder how much power consumption that is. I would definitely enjoy those read speeds, but I think my first venture into SSD will be much more humble.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/26/10 10:26 PM
I just used a 40gb intel SSD in my new HTPC for the OS drive. Opening my bluray player (TMT3) and the time it takes to load the BluRay disk from the harddrive decreased dramatically.

Well worth the $129.00 US
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/26/10 10:57 PM
For those that don't already know, do NOT defrag the SSD. I mention it only because the IT guy ran a defrag in the video.
I wonder if I should have gone for an SSD in my new build? It really would have been pretty cool....
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/26/10 11:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I wonder if I should have gone for an SSD in my new build? It really would have been pretty cool....

I was hesitant, read a couple of posts on AVS from those that had a SSD, and the intels were reviewed well on newegg, so I went for it. Glad I did. After all I have wrapped up in the HTPC, for me it increases the enjoyment enough to justify the cost. It's been a couple months, they may have come down more in price.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/27/10 05:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: htnut
For those that don't already know, do NOT defrag the SSD. I mention it only because the IT guy ran a defrag in the video.

This warning can now be downgraded from a "do not" to "there no need". It used to be that disk intensive activities such as defragging or using the SSD for swap were no-nos. But with wear-leveling any "sectors" which get a lot of use are migrated to different physical locations on the chips. So repeated writes end up wearing out all the empty space across the drive evenly. On top of that, the erase/write cycle count for any cell on SSD is now in the hundreds of thousands. The time of the old chips which died after simply hundreds of cycles is now over.

That said, because there's no physical head moving, while waiting for a particular point on the disk to come around again. There's no benefit of defragging SSD. Any sector which needs to be read can be directly addressed with only the smallest of penalty for non-sequential reads (which is almost always in effect because of the for-mentioned wear-leveling, what the OS thinks is a sequential read or write more than likely is not).
Posted By: INANE Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/29/10 04:18 PM
LOL @ the video

drool @ (the thought of) affordable SSD's
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/29/10 06:11 PM
I'm going to have about 40 old Samsung SATA SSDs pulled from Thinkpad X300s (crapass machines, really) available to me within a few months. I'm wondering if there's a cheap way to raid those. Any ideas on cards to do it with?

Just because.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/29/10 06:44 PM
You looking to do something like this? .

I am sure this has been on here before.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/29/10 06:45 PM
Unless I'm greatly mistaken, that's the same link from the beginning of this thread.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cool...24 256GB Samsung SSD's in Raid - 03/29/10 06:47 PM
D'oh, I haven't even looked at it. I had one of my friends send me that link awhile back.
© Axiom Message Boards