Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adrian Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 06:28 PM
I've just gotten my Banana Plugs from Monoprice, so I'm getting all my speaker wires cut and banana-plugged. I'm using a spool of 14 gauge wire. For the QS8s I'll be needing to make two cables of 35 to 40 ft as I'm going through the floor, then underneath and back through the floor into the wall where the QS8's will be mounted. Although the QS8s are only going to physically be about 18 ft away from the AVR, I'll need the extra wire to reach them. I know when you get into longer distances, gauge of wire becomes important. Is 14 gauge enough for a 35-40 ft cable.

TKS, Adrian
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 06:44 PM
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Per Roger's chart you should be ok. I've always used 12AWG all the way around, but I like overkill.
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 06:47 PM
Yes, I concur with SirQuack. For short lengths, I'll use 16-gauge, or 14--whatever I have in my parts box. But for lengths over 25 feet, I always go to 12-gauge.

Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 06:47 PM
Tks, Randy. Great link.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 07:00 PM
Alan, would you recommend I go to 12 gauge on the surrounds then?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 07:05 PM
You should be fine with the 14, but going with 12 eliminates the 'what if' factor for peace of mind.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/17/09 07:13 PM
or if you ever upgrade to 2ohm surrounds. \:\)
Posted By: Argon Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/18/09 04:47 PM
I never did see what BBGWYRS stands for on that other thread. Acknowledging that I am an only occaisional visitor around here - is that an acronym that can't be spelled out on TV?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/18/09 04:49 PM
I think it is pidgin-speak (purposely mistyped) for "big wires".

Kinda goes with the content of his posts, at least.
Posted By: davekro Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/19/09 03:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I think it is pidgin-speak (purposely mistyped) for "big wires".

To take this one more (Freudian) step further... Is BIG WIRE syndrome related to:
Big Truck, Big Wheels, Big Gun, Big... er, thingy? \:D

I am very comfortable with the size of my (to spec) 14 ga. wire, thank you very much! But my speakers gotta be HUGE! After all, I am 'downsizing' from 26 years with my beloved Klipsch Cornwalls, {... tear slowly runs down one cheek...} to more HT appropriate (and WAF) M80's or M60's. {... wipes tear and smiles. Especially 'cuz wife allows carte blanche on replacements, because I am giving up the Huge speakers... sighs... I am a lucky man...} \:\)
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker Wire Gauge - 03/19/09 02:27 PM
Adrian,

As Jakewash mentioned, you'll be fine with 14-gauge. It doesn't affect fidelity. It does add a bit of resistance, so in effect you're wasting a teensy-weensy bit of power in the surround channel amplifiers in increased resistance.

I recommend 12-gauge to everyone to eliminate the aspect of any significant resistance in long runs--longer than about 30 feet.

Regards,
© Axiom Message Boards