Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d HP Smart Media Server Upgrade - 04/02/09 02:59 PM

I was searching the HP forums looking for memory upgrade specifications so I could order one and stumbled onto a guide detailing the steps of upgrading the server’s hardware.

I have only skimmed it so far, as I’m busier than normal lately, but it looks to be detailed enough that even someone like me can follow (IE: computer idiot).

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/mediasmart-ex475-hack,review-31530.html
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HP Smart Media Server Upgrade - 04/04/09 06:59 PM
Looks like you have the 470 or 475. There is also an opportunity to upgrade the processor (and get some nice performance gains)!

Take a look at this site and this site. You will find the info provided to be useful. In the first site, the 470/475 forum has a sticky about upgrading the RAM.

If you search in both of them, you'll find info in upgrading your MSS and the folks that work the forums are very helpful.

I got a new 485 in Feb and added 3 1 TB drives. I am in the process of moving my DVDs onto the server. I also got a Popcorn Hour A-110 so I could stream the DVDs (using a wired network) to the home theater. I added YAMJ and the 5150 skin (better GUI for presenting the DVDs on the TV). Very cool.

I mention the Popcorn Hour to help you with the opportunity to spend more money! If you do some research, you are gonna HAVE TO get one!
Posted By: michael_d Re: HP Smart Media Server Upgrade - 04/05/09 01:47 AM
Ya, I have the 475. It only has something like 500K memory, which sucks. The link I posted has some benchmark tests and by upgrading the memory to 2 gig, the improvements are significant. Upgrading the CPU doesn’t yield much at all, but they are cheap, so I’ll most likely do that as well. I found the link and memory on the HP forum you posted the link to. I agree, the guys there are very helpful.

For less than $150, I can upgrade the memory, cpu and add a 1.5 T hard drive, which will give me 2.5 gigs.

I didn’t look at the Popcorn Hour, but I do have a Slim Devices Duet and absolutely love it. I use my server for nothing but music via the Duet. It’s so cool; three friends of mine are going to do the same thing.
© Axiom Message Boards