Axiom Home Page
Gentleones,

A pair of AX1.5 Bookshelf speakers that I bought back in 1990-ish have woofers with deteriorating/dead foam surrounds. I've looked at new surrounds and at the option of sticking in new woofers. But...

Can anybody tell me what a good woofer to replace the dead driver might be? Or a good source of repair surrounds?

Strangely, these don't look a thing like the AX1.5's shown on the vintage page. They appear to have the same driver and port complement and sizing, but the boxes are rectangular, not tapered as the brochure seems to show. What the heck have I got?!

Thanks,
Bill
I would call Axiom, they may be able to sell you a driver that would work with their speakers.
I'd give Axiom a buzz. They may have replacement woofers.

I know that series went through a lot of changes under the same nameplate, so you probably do have AX1.5s!
Hi,

When you call the toll-free Axiom number, have the serial number from the back of the speaker handy as well. We may have a replacement woofer that would work. Back in the early 1990s, there was a bookshelf and a floorstanding version of the AX1.5. The latter had two woofers.

It's not worthwhile trying to repair surrounds, as the compliance of the repair material is never the same as that of the original foam surround, so the performance will be very different and quite unpredictable.

Regards,
 Originally Posted By: Bill Eccles
Gentleones,

A pair of AX1.5 Bookshelf speakers that I bought back in 1990-ish have woofers with deteriorating/dead foam surrounds. I've looked at new surrounds and at the option of sticking in new woofers. But...

Can anybody tell me what a good woofer to replace the dead driver might be? Or a good source of repair surrounds?

Strangely, these don't look a thing like the AX1.5's shown on the vintage page. They appear to have the same driver and port complement and sizing, but the boxes are rectangular, not tapered as the brochure seems to show. What the heck have I got?!

Thanks,
Bill

I have a pair here, wanna buy them? :-)

my ax1.5
Axiom's from that era had lifetime warranties, so you should be covered for replacements

...or at least that was a major selling feature at the time. I purchased AX3's in 1990ish, and contacted them in approx. 1997 with problems and they shipped a complete set of drivers for both speakers - no charge
back in 1986 owned a pair of 1.5's non tappered box, then moved to the AX2 for more bottom end. About 4 years ago I had the same problem with the foam on the drivers. I called Axiom and for $100 approx. per driver, they shipped me new ones. I remember there being a 5 year warrenty, not lifetime. The only way I can confirm that is Axiom charged me for replacement drivers.

paul
© Axiom Message Boards