Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fab5valentine Help with REW - 04/24/09 07:44 PM
Does anyone have the patience to teach me how to run REW for my Sub?? I don't have a lap top but my desktop is in the room next to my listening room with a passthru opening so I'm <15' to the sub via a cable.. Is there any hope?? If so what would I need? I have an Rat Shack SPL.. THANK YOU! I look forward to this project if it's possible..
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with REW - 04/24/09 08:15 PM
Read through the help file, it will give you a good idea of what you need.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/wizardhelp/help_en-GB/html/index.html

and/or this one

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...ion-basics.html
Posted By: Zimm Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 02:13 AM
Well, here is a super short attempt at answering your question. Jakes' post is right. But, in short, get (1) SPL meter, (2) RCA splitter to divide SPL single out to two ch, (3) soundcard with RCA or Digital out. I did optic to AVR with Radio Shack digital SPL. (Used Behringer U-control ACA202).

After that, just calibrate the soundcard, then test the room with the sub level only - if that is all you want. Sadly, you have to play with it. It is a fantastic program for free. For $100 I would have many complaints. Play with it and you will get the basics. I'm not past the basics, so after that, let me know.
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 04:13 PM
The only out I have from the PC ia speaker (1/8" plug)out and Cener LFE out,as I have Vista and not sure how to calibrate the sound card.. Is this thru setting on the PC or thru REW?? Maybe I'm not eqiuped properly sound card wise.. Duno..
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 05:04 PM
You can do it, you have to get the 1/8 to RCA adapters first and some long RCA cables to reach the PC and the inputs on the receiver. From there you can follw the steps in the help file for calibrating and hooking up the soundcard, but I would highly suggest an aftermarket soundcard, most onboard cards are quite bad, they don't do well under 70hz or over 10khz, in my experiemnts with 3 of my PC's onboard sound cards.
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 05:27 PM
How can I tell Jay,, this PC was given to me as an Xmas gift.. a Zt from Costco a gaming PC.. I figured it would have a great on board SC.. What is recomended then? Any but the onboard.. Thank you!!!

Here'e the onboard= Integrated Realtek ACL662 6-Channel High-Definition Audio Codec

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 07:48 PM
I think the ASUS Xonar DX is probaby a good choice, if you have a free PCIe x1 slot. If not, then you're looking at external USB devices.
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Help with REW - 04/25/09 08:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I think the ASUS Xonar DX is probaby a good choice, if you have a free PCIe x1 slot. If not, then you're looking at external USB devices.

Yes, I have a few open PCi slots.. Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with REW - 04/26/09 11:23 PM
Are they PCIe slots? Very different from PCI.
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Help with REW - 04/27/09 12:23 AM
How do I download REW graphs to this site to show if it did okay.. THANK You! Wew!! I think I did REW..
© Axiom Message Boards