Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fab5valentine Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 04:25 AM
VP150 arrived today.. But has a blown or defective right side driver.. I'm fairly disappointed as I had high hopes for this thing, and upon the first accoustic guitar note with some base there was am awfull buzz that I tracked to the right side 5 -1/4" driver.. I wouldn't anticipate this to be normal right?? The box was in good shape with no sign of stress..

I even plugged it into my B channel with nice monster cable and the issue was duplicated.. Right side driver.. -Dang!!!

-Darrin J. Valentine

fab5valentine
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 06:10 AM
Its probably just a bad driver. It could be a loose screw which you may want to check. I'm not sure if they include a allen wrench with the VP150 as they do with other speakers but thats one of the first things to check. If that doesnt do it. Contact axiom and they will take care of it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear that Darrin, give Axiom a call and they will have a new driver/speaker out to you in no time.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 10:00 AM
Even if the speaker arrived in "good condition", those of us that have been here awhile have heard lots of stories about the shippinf companies jostling things around. I don't remember anyone ever getting a defective driver, though (I think every speaker is tested if I remember right!).

Likely a wire came loose and is buzzing up against the driver or something. Either way, a call to Axiom will get it taken care of quickly! \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 11:28 AM
I agree MarkS, it is unusual since they are tested before shipping. I would remove and inspect the connections on the drivers as well, or call Axiom.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 11:58 AM
Darrin,
I had the same thing happen to me with one of my W22's. Don't fret it however. As frustrating as I know this is, Axiom will make it correct asap. Just call them and they will sort it out for you with either a fix, a new driver or an entire new speaker. Good luck!
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 12:31 PM
Yes it is frustrating,, HOWEVER, I'm feeling better with the possitive comments from you guys.. Yes, the box may have been jostled, as it didn't look like it at first but at further inspection one side appears to have a soft spot that I can press back in with ease, as oppeased to a noticable dent on a corner, so who knows..

I'd be happy to take it appart, as I am fairly handy, but didn't want to void any warranty, you know how some companies are..

I'm sure I'll hear something today.. -THANKS!!!!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 12:33 PM
Axiom will probably ask you to remove the driver and inspect the wiring, it won't void warranty.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 12:57 PM
Call Axiom and they will take care of you. Axiom will pay for the cost involved to solve the problem of course (shipping, parts etc). No worries.

Cheers!
Posted By: Murph Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 02:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I don't remember anyone ever getting a defective driver,

My old roommate and I once ordered a taxi to go down town. He crashed us into telephone pole in the parking lot for no apparent reason we could ever figure out.

That's the one time I remember getting a defective driver.
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 02:57 PM
I have a call into Axiom now.. I should hear back momentarily..

I'll advise.. Thanks!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
My old roommate and I once ordered a taxi to go down town. He crashed us into telephone pole in the parking lot for no apparent reason we could ever figure out.

That's the one time I remember getting a defective driver.

And still it involved accidents during transport...
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:18 PM
New driver on it's way with the okay to remove the bad one to insppect and/or just disconnect to still utilize the VP150 until the time I can replace it.. -Took all about 20 seconds to sort this out on the phone.. 5 seconds to understand the new driver is on it's way, and 15 seconds to explain what to do with the bad driver to be able to keep using the speaker..

Can you guys please advise me to speaker wire size that is adiquate or recomended? Both in wall and exterior applicattions.
And if connecters are usefull or recomended? -Thanks!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:22 PM
It took 20 seconds! Their standard is going down... \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:29 PM
12-14 gauge wiring, I have recently started to prefer using 12 gauge for no particular reason than Axiom sells it for a respectable price and Monoprice.com sells it for cheap and it is good enough wire a little stiff compared to Axiom's ultra pliable wire. Using 12 gauge also eliminates any 'what if' scenarios. Many folks use banana plugs for the back of the receiver and others use them for the speaker connections or both, so really it comes down to personal preference. If you are looking to use the stock wall mount for a QS series you won't be able to use anything but bare wire, which is fine too as this is the simplest connection and cuts down on the number of connections between the amp and the speaker, less likely to incur connection related problems.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:42 PM
What the scary dead guy said.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:45 PM
EEEENNNNFIDELLLL!!! I keell you.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buzz from new VP150..?? - 05/07/09 03:47 PM
Don't make me go get Walter!
© Axiom Message Boards