Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk New receiver, bass sounds better - 08/16/09 04:09 AM
Now that I've got your attention... ;\)

On a couple of the Bach pipe organ tracks I listened to tonight I swear the bass was better. In fact, I got a little boom lower than I recall hearing on any bass material.

So here's the thing. The fronts are set to large. That means I am getting a lot more bass in the 30 to 80 Hz range. In fact, looking at the M80 specs, they have a -9db point of 25 Hz. I wonder if this is giving a noticeable boost to the low stuff on the pipe organ.

Need to hook up and re-calibrate REW and take some measurements.

Hey John. On one piece where there is a sequence of 8 notes repeated, but each rep is down a note or two I had it cranked and turned on the spl meter. I was pushing 100db and it sounded... well, very satisfying!
Posted By: JohnK Re: New receiver, bass sounds better - 08/16/09 05:04 AM
Fred, if the "low stuff" isn't extremely low, say 30-40Hz, then the contribution of the M80s in that range would be enough to increase the overall level there significantly unless the position of speakers and sub would instead cause a partial cancellation in that frequency range. Drivers about a half wavelength apart partially cancel when playing the same note.
© Axiom Message Boards