Axiom Home Page
Posted By: stinger VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/07/09 04:54 AM
I've been a long time Axiom owner,probably past the 5 year mark.I own the 80's,Qs8's and a vp 150.lately I've noticed the tweeters on the 150 have stoped produceing sound.any ideas?
Posted By: Wid Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/07/09 12:37 PM

Call Axiom.
Posted By: fredk Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/07/09 01:39 PM
Always check the gas first. Well, OK, wiring in this case. Make sure there isn't something loose.

If the tweets are no longer working, Axiom will sell you replacements.
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/07/09 03:21 PM
ok,I took the speaker apart and checked the wires,all good.next I checked the tweeters with the set of wires from a mid that still works and both tweeters worked.I'm thinking it's the crossover.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/07/09 03:44 PM
Call Axiom, Toll-Free at 1-866-244-8796 and they will get you taken care of.

Cheers!
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/08/09 07:11 AM
Stinger, welcome. Good work on checking the problem. Yes, it would seem that since the tweeters work when connected to the output for the mid-woofers, that the capacitor in the high-pass section of the crossover to the tweeters is finished. Call Axiom for a replacement; most likely it would be the entire crossover which would be sent.
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/10/09 12:08 AM
well while I wait for an answer from Axiom I thought I would ask a question.what would cause a crossover to go bad? dumb luck?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/10/09 02:53 AM
Like any electronic components, they can fail. This is very rare in the case of the crossover. This is the first time I have ever read on this forum that a crossover component became defective.

Cheers!
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/10/09 07:06 AM
And of course, my mention of the capacitor was just a (slightly)educated guess. Maybe vibrations broke a connection in the crossover, but whatever it is, the signal isn't making it through to the tweeters.
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/11/09 09:29 PM
I've been waiting for a solution all week and so far nothing.after several e mails I'm starting to feel like I'm on my own,hate to be a bother
Posted By: Adrian Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/11/09 09:36 PM
You might either try calling them up or PM'ing JC or Alan.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/11/09 09:59 PM
Hi Stinger,

Try calling Toll-Free at 1-866-244-8796 and talk to a representative in person. There might be a problem with your email address or a spam filter could have filtered out your response. Either way you need to get this addressed. Call them and tell them of your issue with the defective crossover as well as your problem in getting in contact with them via email. This type of feedback is welcomed.

Cheers!
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/12/09 07:58 PM
got a response,basicly I have to buy a new crossover.it's a little expensive for me right now so it will have to wait.on the plus side I dusted off an old DCM bookshelf and it sounds good.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 01:25 AM
so they must not be under warranty?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 02:01 AM
In his opening response he mentioned he has been an owner for over 5 years which is past the warranty period.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 02:14 AM
He said "probably" past the 5 years, wanted to be 100% sure he verified with Axiom, they might work something out for him.

But glad your on duty tonight.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 02:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
He said "probably" past the 5 years, wanted to be 100% sure he verified with Axiom, they might work something out for him.

But glad your on duty tonight.

1+1=2
Posted By: Wid Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 03:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House

1+1=2

No wonder yer the Dr. ;\)
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 05:07 AM
yep,past warranty,oh well.I'll have to pay off my new tv before I buy a new xover.my center speaker going down was unexpected and a bummer.funny thing,my old tv died on me and now this speaker.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 02:39 PM
How much does axiom want for a new xover?
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/13/09 03:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
How much does axiom want for a new xover?

over 70 us.don't know what shipping is.like I said no biggie as my dcm speaker sounds good at center.I didn't think a xover would be that much?
Posted By: Adrian Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 12:35 AM
Crossovers range in price from your fits-all Parts Express units, to several hundreds $$ on high end crossovers.
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 02:55 AM
not saying it was unreasonabl.BTW this is the second time an Axiom xover has failed on me.I don't recall any other speaker I've owned my entire life that the xover has failed,I'm suspicious.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 03:46 AM
What other speaker had a crossover failure?
Posted By: CV Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 03:49 AM
Does John Edward work at Axiom?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 10:10 AM
In the time I've been here, I don't recall anyone ever saying that they needed to replace a crossover. For you to need to replace two is really odd.

I wonder if something else is going on up-stream?
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 10:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
In the time I've been here, I don't recall anyone ever saying that they needed to replace a crossover. For you to need to replace two is really odd.

I wonder if something else is going on up-stream?

yeah,thats what makes me scratch my head.I had to replace the xovers in my m80's about 6 months after I bought them,no problem since.the xovers that Axiom sent me were different from the originals.I have all my HT equipment on it's own circuit and run an adcom power conditioner.I think it's very strange I've had another xover go out on me.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 01:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Does John Edward work at Axiom?

I see what you did there. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/14/09 09:06 PM
Stinger, it's unusual to have a crossover crap-out(twice) so hopefully there isn't some other problem there. Anyway, why not remove the crossover and either send it to Axiom to have a look at it(call them first), or take it to a reputable local audio store to have them look at it....could be you don't need to replace the entire crossover, possibly just a part or a bad wire.
Posted By: alan Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/15/09 03:29 PM
Hi Stinger,

By the way, all prices quoted at Axiom include the shipping charges, so the crossover price includes that.

This is extremely unusual to have several crossover failures (if that's what it is). In my 8 years at Axiom, I recall only one other crossover replacement because of a cracked circuit board, and I see all the warranty/out of warranty emails.

What sort of amplifier/receiver are you powering the speakers with? I'd also take the Adcom power conditioner out of the circuit. I'm suspicious of those.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: stinger Re: VP 150 Tweets no work - 09/17/09 02:17 AM
Hi Alan,
I took a look around the web and that looks to be the going rate for a good crossover.that one cossover your talking about might have been mine,Axion replaced both crossovers on my m80's,no problem since.I have an older Onkyo av amp driveing the center,rear center and surrounds.what's the problem with the power conditioner?
© Axiom Message Boards