Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiomAZ Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 02:38 AM
Hello All,

I Just received my new set of Axiom (W22,W150 and M2V2.)

My question is this: Can I/Should I/Would I benefit from mounting the W22's inverted? Because the W22 has the tweeter at the 'top' of the speaker - My intent here is to line up the tweeters across the bottom of the television screen at ~ ear height with the center channel mounted just beneath the TV. I know that mechanically, they should mount with no issues... but sound wise, do you think it would contribute to a better experience?

BTW, these speakers sound every bit worth the $$ and the wait.

Thanks to any responders!

- John
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 02:49 AM
You've got the right idea with lining up the tweeters. My bet is it'll sound great!

Is it not possible to flip them once installed? I've never actually seen the Architecturals in person.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 03:10 AM
John, welcome(can always use another one). Sure, mount the W22s upside-down to more nearly align the tweeters with the center speaker and your ear level.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 04:47 PM
Doesn't the W series slide down to lock onto the mounting bracket? If so mounting upside down won't work. The video says to lock it in place you slide it in the bracket and down to lock it in place.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 04:56 PM
Yup \:\)
Posted By: Listener Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 11:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Doesn't the W series slide down to lock onto the mounting bracket? If so mounting upside down won't work. The video says to lock it in place you slide it in the bracket and down to lock it in place.

yup
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 11:33 PM
If the bracket can be installed upside-down -- and I don't see why not -- couldn't you then lock the speaker in by pushing upward? Sure gravity is working against you, but it just might work.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/26/09 11:56 PM
And if it doesn't, well, they only cost a few hundred dollars. ;\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 01:36 AM
I would just invert the house.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 02:12 AM
I would just invert gravity.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 02:13 AM
Yes, assuming that the locking feature on the bracket is firm enough to hold the weight of the W22s(can be tried first), the upside-down mounting should work well.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 03:02 AM
John,
While it may be fun to try and mount the W's upside down (houses & gravity aside \:\) ) I can tell you that they sound great mounted 'traditionally'.

I have my W150 mounted below the screen and the W22's mounted so that the bottom of the speaker is in line with the bottom of the TV which puts the tweeter about mid-screen height wise. I personally do not notice any issues with the center channel tweeters being lower than the L & R's.
Posted By: RickF Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 08:25 AM
You could try this.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 12:21 PM
Rick, why do you torture us so?
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/27/09 08:52 PM
The bracket will work either way, so once the bracket is in the wall you can try both way, just leave extra wire in the wall.

The problem with inverting them is the ports are now serious dust collecting chasms of doom.

Posted By: axiomAZ Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 10/29/09 01:32 AM
LOL

I am still laughing: "invert the house."

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I apologize for not responding any sooner but I have been working on a major hardware/software upgrade at work that has required much more time than I would like. \:\( luckily, I think we have everything sorted out and I can now get back to something I am more interested in!

I have taken a look at the brackets and the way the speakers mount in them and I do not see any reason they wont work - right-side-up or otherwise.... so, I will be attempting the inverted speaker placement.

As stated in a previous post... I am sure they will sound incredible in either configuration. ( I have them sitting on the floor right now - just to get a sense of what they sound like and it is overwhelming) I am coming from a JBL HLS setup that is quite old - though sounding well enough. - I was ready for an upgrade.

BTW I have an HK AVR 354 (upgraded from an AVR 300) driving them and I couldn't be more impressed with the sound.

Thanks to all and I will report in on my final impressions (and pictures) once I get everything finished.

Best regards to all,

- John
Posted By: myrison Re: Installation of W22 wall speakers - 11/01/09 09:07 PM
Can't wait for the pics. I just recommended the in-walls to a friend of mine in town and look forward to hearing how the install went and how they sound once in the wall as well as seeing how they look!

Jason
© Axiom Message Boards