Axiom Home Page
Posted By: darth999 How to import music? - 12/05/09 04:28 AM
Hi: Not sure if it has been asked before but, how would I go about importing music into my PS-3? Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: How to import music? - 12/05/09 07:58 AM
It can rip CDs which are placed in the drive.

You can copy MP3s, WMAs, WAVs, or AACs from a USB memory stick (place them in a folder called "Music" off the root).

You can also copy (or stream) from a DLNA media server running on the local network.
Posted By: Murph Re: How to import music? - 12/07/09 02:59 PM
An external USB hard drive can also be plugged in for copying files or as a storage location. Just make sure it is not formatted in NTFS.
Posted By: Nick B Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 07:27 PM
I have all of my music stored as AAC lossless on my computer. When I tried transferring some songs on a thumb drive to my PS3 they wouldn't work. I did find a link to a workaround to do it, but it seems like a pain to go through so I haven't tried yet.

http://www.tomkiss.net/blog/how_to_import_an_itunes_playlist_to_your_playstation_3

This was all about a year ago now and I haven't messed with it since, but I sure wish it were easier to get my music on the PS3.
Posted By: jakewash Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 08:04 PM
No easy way but many of us are starting or running 2 libraries, one for iTunes/Apple products and one for everything else in the world or one with FLAC and one for everything else. Life would be easier if Apple would just open up iTunes a little more and have it read FLAC or any of the other not quite so popular choices and it would also be nice if more nonApple products would accept AAC, can't we all just get along? :).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 08:12 PM
AAC isn't the problem... ALAC is the problem. AAC is pretty universal.

Apple will probably never add FLAC because of possible license issues with it.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 08:18 PM
What possible license issues with FLAC? The F stands for Free.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/license.html

Quote:
FLAC is a free codec in the fullest sense.
The FLAC and Ogg FLAC formats themselves, and their specifications, are fully open to the public to be used for any purpose (the FLAC project reserves the right to set the FLAC specification and certify compliance). They are free for commercial or noncommercial use.
Neither the FLAC nor Ogg FLAC formats nor any of the implemented encoding/decoding methods are covered by any known patent.

Posted By: jakewash Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 08:25 PM
With storage space no longer a real issue, I am hopeful FLAC or ALAC or similar will become the norm. I know I am dreaming, not enough of the populace are knowledgeable/care enough about sound quality to look beyond MP3/AAC/WMA.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 09:25 PM
It's actually on the other side of it, as I understand it. FLAC and Ogg may infringe on some other patents. No idea if that's actually accurate, but that's what I've heard.
Posted By: jakewash Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 09:52 PM
Interesting
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: How to import music? - 12/16/09 09:57 PM
It is so hard to know if you're infringing on a patent until some Patent Troll company serves you with papers to appear in Marshall, TX, Texas Eastern District Court. But the people at Xiph have done patent searches to try to be sure they are not infringing. That was their primary motivation in the development of Vorbis to get out of the licensing mess that was MP3/AAC. FLAC, while not developed initially by Xiph, has also been researched once it was brought into the fold.

Then again, since all codecs do is mathematical transforms of data which could also be performed in a person's head, they may not be patentable at all with the Bilski ruling.
Posted By: fredk Re: How to import music? - 12/17/09 02:03 AM
 Quote:
What possible license issues with FLAC? The F stands for Free.

Thats exactly the licensing problem. Its free, everybody else has it and you can't charge gobs of cash for it...
© Axiom Message Boards