Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Yonmin Help with speaker choice - 01/23/10 11:44 AM
Hi, I am getting a speaker for my iMac, will be playing music from my iTunes. I watch movies from my iMac too, but main importance is music.

Is there a need to get surround sound?
Or do I just need a 2.1 speaker.

If I get floorstanding speakers, do I still need a subwoofer?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help with speaker choice - 01/23/10 08:27 PM
You have to have a receiver or amplifier to drive the speakers, how do you intend to do this with a computer?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with speaker choice - 01/23/10 08:58 PM
Unless, of course, he's looking at Audiobytes--or other computer speakers. I guess what we need to know is if this is your primary system, or whether you're just looking for computer speakers. What's your listening distance? Just sitting in a chair in front of it, or are you going to be using this with a TV?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with speaker choice - 01/23/10 11:40 PM
Just to add that there is never a need to go full surround, but it does enhance the overall listening experience whether it be music or movies, it is just a personal preferrence.
Posted By: Murph Re: Help with speaker choice - 01/25/10 03:15 PM
For all music, I would go with just a 2.1 system for now and save my money for when you get into a home theater environment and then get an even better surround setup.

Yes, there are advantages that many people enjoy when listening to music on a good surround system but depending on your budget, you could get probably better musical sound by putting more money on a good 2.1 setup than by spreading it out thin on a 5.1 setup.

Just another angle to consider depending on budget.
© Axiom Message Boards