Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 03:34 PM
Hey guys, I have my WII plugged into the HDP component inputs, but I also have by WDTV plugged into the HDP HDMI input. When I use my Harmony remote activity to start my WDTV, everything works fine; it chooses that HDMI input, but when I choose the WII activity, it automatically selects HDMI. If I switch my WDTV on, I get video and audio from it, and when I switch it off, I get just audio from the WII.

Could someone please help me with a proper setup process, so when I go to use the WII, the receiver will select component automatically. I would assume there is a way to do this when two different cables are plugged into the same input. I can't even figure out how to do it manually through the GUI, and I had to plug the WII into the back of the TV.

Thank you very much.
I have not tried to plug two sources into the same input, so I can only suggest you try something. Even though each HDMI input has two different names, I do not know if the 3808 sees them as independent inputs. – I have not experimented with that.

Having said that, I would select the HDP input (HDMI # whatever) and go into the input set up screen. Turn off the auto select feature and select HDMI. Then select that same HDMI input as HDP, but under the second name (I do not recall what this is). There are discrete commands for the 3808 to do this by the way.) When you have that input selected, go back to the input set up screen and make sure Auto is off and then select Component under the video select screen. Then you do the same for audio.

I think that if you do this, each time you use the discrete commands for the inputs, it will remember which one to switch to – HDMI or Component. Sorry for the crappy instructions. I’m not near my 3808 right now, but will be later today of you need more help and no one else gets back to you with better instructions.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 04:37 PM
Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the response. I just checked the manual, and it states that you can switch between Auto, HDMI, Digital, Analog and EXT in. Following your instructions, would I select "Analog" for the WII (component).

Thanks again
I think you are looking at audio input selection. For this you would still want digital. You select the video input in the 'video select' screen.

Do you have more than four sources?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 05:41 PM
Yeah, somewhere in the denon menu there is an option for assigning sound to a specific source. I had to do this for my xbox 360 that is connected with component cables for video and optical for audio. In the denon menu somewhere I had to select the appropriate sound source (optical audio 1 for example) that went with the component input of interest.
Posted By: fredk Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 06:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Yeah, somewhere in the denon menu there is an option for...

... everything. Somewhere there is an option that randomly re-sets my HDMI in to nothing. Since its only the PS3 I figure Sony pays Denon royalties for this very special feature.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 06:33 PM
For sources I have the Oppo, WDTV, CD player, DVD player, satellite, and the Wii. The Wii cable has component video and l/r audio connections.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 06:55 PM
Wait a minute? The wii doesn't have 5 channel surround sound? Holy crap Nintendo needs to join the modern era.
OK –
Which sources have HDMI other than the Oppo BD93? Also, what are your other source output options (cabling) of each source? That would help me to suggest which goesouta should go to the appropriate 3808 goesinta.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/24/10 10:41 PM
The DVD player and WDTV are HDMI, and my satellite only has component.
Hu….. that could be an issue. Is your heart set on continuing the use of the DVD player and BD-93 both? The BD-93 is arguably the best up-scalling DVD player on the market right now, as well as being a great BR player, and CD player.

If you could dump the DVD player, that would free up an HDMI port and would make things much simpler. You could then assign like inputs to each like source.

Having said that, and assuming you don’t mind loosing the DVD player, I would do this:

BD-93 – HDMI # 1 (DVD)
WDTV – HDMI # 3 (TV/CBL)
Satalite – HDMI # 4 (DVR)
Wii – Component # 2 (HDP) / HDP Analogue Audio Inputs
CD – CD Analogue Audio Inputs

If you do this, there will be no doubt that you will be able to make all your audio / video selections.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 01:51 AM
Michael, unfortunately I need the DVD player. It's a 400 disc carousel (along with my CD player} for ease of access because of my disability. Your suggestion is great but won't work in my case.
OK. I'll experiment some and get back to you.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 04:40 PM
Thank you very much for the help, Michael.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 05:07 PM
Michael, I just received this recommendation on AVS-

Assign:
Oppo BDP-83 (under name HDP to HDMI-2)
Sony 400 disc carousel (under name SAT reassign to HDMI-1)
WD TV (under name VCR reassign to HDMI-3
Satellite receiver (under name TV/CBL to Component-3)
Wii (under name DVD to Component-1)
Plug Satellite and Wii Audio (Red & White) under the same names (TV/CBL and DVD resp)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 08:58 PM
That should work Cam.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 10:06 PM
Thanks Jay,

I also just received this response which helped me understand assigning inputs-

"you need to free your mind from the shackles of rigid input assignment

All of those inputs can be assigned to whatever name you choose!! The only limitation is the number of names the Denon has available, and the 3808CI has plenty of input names that you can use.

See my setup guide, lesson number one is to IGNORE THE NAMES that Denon chooses to put by the input, you are the master of the inputs and you can reassign them as you need!

The limiting factor here is that analog audio (red/white RCA) can NOT be assigned, so those are your restrictions in terms of name.... so just make sure that the red/white analog audio input you use doesn't conflict with any of the HDMI assignments you have made.

The nice thing about input assignment is that you don't have to physically move the HDMI cable if you need to free up that "name", you can just reassign it in the menus. For example, if you plug into the red/white "DVD" inputs but the "DVD" name is taken up by an HDMI component, you can just reassign that HDMI input to something else (like "VCR") and then the "DVD" name is now free to use for something else.

And remember that you can also rename the inputs! So at the end, it doesn't matter which name you started with..."

Thought I would post it in case someone else would benefit from it.
It's nice to be able to just switch things around and re-assign the receiver as opposed to having to re-program the Harmony :).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/25/10 10:16 PM
That is sweet. I wish my receiver had assignable names.
As corny as it seems, for all the technical attributes, the assignable input names was one of the things I was looking forward to most about my 3808. I got really tired of trying to remember which component was under the "Satellite" input or whatever.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 12:04 AM
You just have to remember which input you used and it's label on the back or you won't get the correct input when reassigning them. I have my HDP renamed to Wii \:\)
Posted By: snazzed Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 03:51 PM
I would agree that assignable names are GREAT! My only beef though is that they print names on the back of the unit. My personal Favorites are the HDMI and the Optical ports labelled, "VCR".

What? A VCR with HDMI or Optical outs?!

Just number the stupid things. HDMI-1, HDMI-2, HDMI-3, HDMI-out, done.

snazzed
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 05:43 PM
There's a VCR with HDMI. My mom's thinking about getting one.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 07:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
There's a VCR with HDMI. My mom's thinking about getting one.

Thats not a VCR! Thats a BluRay Player ~with~ a VCR. \:\)

snazzed
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 07:27 PM
Shhh... Don't tell my mom. I already got her to buy an HDMI plasma TV, because she needed something to fit on a small, corner table. But her VHS tapes look really bad on it, so I told her there's a VCR that'll make things look better.

She was asking about the "DVDs" I've been buying in the blue boxes. I told her they're better looking versions of the movies, but she couldn't play them with her current VHS/DVD combo player, but she did have a TV good enough to take advantage of the new discs.
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
You just have to remember which input you used and it's label on the back or you won't get the correct input when reassigning them. I have my HDP renamed to Wii \:\)

Yeah, I don't think any of mine are what Denon called them fron the factory. HDP is Blu-Ray, DVD is HD-DVD, SAT/CBL is Xbox 360 I think, etc. The fact you can delete the unused ones is cool too, so when you use the knob rather than the remote you don't have to scroll through 18 different inputs.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/26/10 08:20 PM
Good point about deleting unused inputs, a handy feature \:\)
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
The fact you can delete the unused ones is cool too, so when you use the knob rather than the remote you don't have to scroll through 18 different inputs.

But to best maintain your ManCard, it's best to buy enough source components to fill the available inputs.
Hah, isn't that the truth. I guess having six BD players wouldn't be overkill at all.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/27/10 06:27 PM
I found this little gem on AVS. It is a small program called command3808 that you can install on your PC so that you can control/change all of your settings for the 3808 (and 4308).

The 3808 needs to be connected to a network or the PC. It's simple and makes the whole settings thing easier to deal with.

I noticed that the last few posts on that thread deal with installing some additional SQL files if you are using Windows 7.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/28/10 06:39 PM
Thanks Ray, although this isn't useful for me right now (I just hooked up my wireless router today), it will come in handy in the future when I have internet capability downstairs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help with Denon 3808 input setup please - 01/28/10 10:30 PM
You mean your junk isn't wired yet?
© Axiom Message Boards