Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Shaggy Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 01:46 AM
Greetings all;

The amplifier in my trusty old EP350 has died. It is an older unit, far out of waranty. Axiom support was kind enough to walk me through a test or two to get it back up in running, but ended in failure.

Has anyone out there replaced the amplifier on one of these subwoofers? Any makes / models out there that wouldn't require me to put on a tool belt to make the amplifier hole bigger / smaller?

Cheers,
Sean.
Posted By: Wid Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 01:58 AM

There are some at Parts Express.
Posted By: Wid Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 02:00 AM

There are some here too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 02:00 AM
I've been curious how one would find an amp the same dimensions as Axioms amps, are they all the same standard. You obviously want a tight fit?
Posted By: RickF Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 02:02 AM
Didn't we discuss this a while back, seems like I was thinking I could upgrade my old 350 with an amp out of the new 350 but for some reason it wouldn't work out.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 03:14 AM
Also you could try Meniscus Audio or Madisound. I wonder if you could go with an exterior amp such as a Behringer EP or Tapco unit?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/26/10 08:15 PM
I think for the few hundred more I would look at buying a new 350v3, the performance gains are well worth the money spent \:\)
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/27/10 02:00 PM
I rarely use the subwoofer, we're more music that movie people. It is nice to be able to flip it on for a movie on the odd occasion, so I really wouldn't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars to get it running again. Anything more and I'd rather put the money towards improving the music...

I've seen the plate amplifiers on parts express. I was wondering if anyone knew if there's anything out in the market place (for a reasonable price) they know would fit in the enclosure / work well.

I guess the next option is to pull out the multimetre and see if I can find where the short is...

Cheers!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/27/10 02:50 PM
You could contact Parts Express and ask them for the cutout dimensions for one of their amps if they don't provide that info online. Other than that, you could make your own face-plate or ask a woodshop to make one, to attach over the existing cutout as an adapter.
Posted By: Murph Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/27/10 05:13 PM
Hey Shaggy,
I'd respectfully argue that a good subwoofer does also improve your music. There are many instruments that dip down into the low range that a good subwoofer will enhance. Arguably, a cheap HTIB style sub will probably do more harm than good but I suspect that en EP350, even the older models, would really enhance instruments like bass guitars, celos, kick drums, tons more as those are just the most obvious.

A good sub, calibrated properly, won't make the music sound rattly or boomy. It will make it sound much more like the real thing. I wonder if maybe you had it turned up just a little too much and it gave you a bad impression with music instead of having it calibrated to blend in with the other speakers and produce a smooth realistic bass sound.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/27/10 10:06 PM
Looks like most of the plate amps that people have linked, have the cutout dimensions in the accompanying pdf specifications.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Reviving an old EP-350 - 01/28/10 04:54 PM
I'll second Murph's comments \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards