Axiom Home Page
Posted By: turbo16v doubling up 16ga wire?? - 01/30/10 04:55 AM
I am helping someone set up a 7.1 system. the room was prewired for 5.1 and the only way to get the back two is by using flat wire. the carpet is being replaced so I figured that would be perfect. Here is what we got..
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-040

The run will be about 15 feet to a 8 ohm tower and I was wondering if there would be any benefit to doubling the wire if we have enough. (I don't mean bi-amping)
Does 2 16ga make a right? \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: doubling up 16ga wire?? - 01/30/10 05:18 AM
If you double it, it does increase the gauge; I'm not sure to what, but at least to 14 gauge, I would think. At least then it would be lower resistance, not that I think it's really a factor at that distance.
Posted By: JohnK Re: doubling up 16ga wire?? - 01/30/10 05:20 AM
Chet, doubling up wire creates the equivalent of a a gauge three lower, e.g., doubling 16ga results in the equivalent of 13ga. No, there wouldn't be any significant benefit from this since 16ga is more than enough for a 15' run(see speaker wire table ). Also, unless the two doubled wires are in close contact, this increases the inductance of the wiring, with possible high frequency attenuation.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: doubling up 16ga wire?? - 01/30/10 05:23 AM
Right, they do have to be very close together. I forgot about that part.
Posted By: snazzed Re: doubling up 16ga wire?? - 02/01/10 09:04 PM
Yes, running combined twisted pair does make a difference... you get rid of induction... in twisted pair. Doubled up loose wire you won't see that benefit:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ultralink-CL414-cable-5-2003.html

I can't take credit for that link. I got it from another thread on this board a long time ago.

According to the article above, using doubled 14g results in the current capacity/resistance of an 11g wire. I figured I didn't quite need that so I looked up the stats on 16g.

Twisted pair 14g:
- Conductor diameter close to 8g? Don't recall
- Resistance close to 11g
- no induction

Twisted pair 16g:
- Conductor diameter close to 10g
- Resistance of 13g
- no induction

Personally I'm getting my stuff at the end of this month and intend to go with 16g 4 conducter in wall, from monoprice.

Hope this helps:
snazzed
© Axiom Message Boards