Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 01/31/10 09:58 PM
I have a "media room" 52" Samsung, Axioms soon, next week.

Room is 10.5 w x 11 d x 8' ceiling. Seating position at 7'

52" Samsung LCD.

Could I possibly get a projector and screen i that room at the 7' viewing distance? BTW, I still want the LCD so the screen would have to lower dowm in front of the LCD for movie time.

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 01/31/10 10:18 PM
Could you? yes, not sure it would be ideal. You have to look at the throw distance (projector to screen) of the projector and zoom range to see what size screen you can go with. If your that close, your not going to want a huge screen or you'll get headaches during action movies.

My front row is 13ft back and my 130+ screen requires a lot of darting back/forth of your eyes. Maybe just stick with a large TV.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 01/31/10 10:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Could you? yes, not sure it would be ideal. You have to look at the throw distance (projector to screen) of the projector and zoom range to see what size screen you can go with. If your that close, your not going to want a huge screen or you'll get headaches during action movies.

My front row is 13ft back and my 130+ screen requires a lot of darting back/forth of your eyes. Maybe just stick with a large TV.

I thought that would be the answer. THX and other charts say 67". Hopefully LCDs that big will become consumer friendly soon, or build a new room. I was hoping someone did it with a 84" or 92" screen and was happy!

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: cb919 Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 01/31/10 11:30 PM
Maybe a 65 inch Pioneer Kuro plasma? I know they used to be pricey, but now that Pioneer is getting out of the plasma game you might find one cheaper somewhere? Just thinking out loud here.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 01/31/10 11:54 PM
It can be done, you would have to locate a projector that provided you with the size screen your looking for, with the throw distance restricted by the depth of your room. Projector Central is a good website to start with, they have calculators for each projector, just plug in the throw distance and see how big of screen you can get. Again, sitting to close to a large screen is not always pleasant, for fast action scenes. If you have ever sat to far down in an Imax, you will know what I mean.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 02/02/10 12:42 AM
Thanks All, I'll check out that site
Posted By: PhillipD Re: Tiny Room want a projector, Possible? - 02/02/10 02:01 AM
106" screen at 13ft for me for the first row and my wife doesn't mind it at all and some times sits in a chair that is at about 10ft. 84" screen will give you optimal viewign distance at 1.5 times the width so 126" or 10.5ft. 92" is 138" or 11.5ft. Depending on the PJ and screen I think you could make it work.
Try this site to help with throw calcualtions
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8100-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I did the epson 8100 at 11' and you could do a 92" screen with 32fl and still be able to have ambient light.

Later
Phil
© Axiom Message Boards