Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DanF_Omaha W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 07:58 PM
Hey guys, new here and I have a question. I am currently considering ordering the above for my new home, and have a mounting question. Due to the size of my TV, and fireplace, I am going to mount these speakers above the TV so the TV does not sit too high. My wall design above the TV will be at a downward firing angle, roughly 35 degrees, and I want to mount the speakers at this angle in the wall. Will the mount support them at an angle like this? Do they have some sort of retention device to keep them from falling out if mounted at an angle?? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 08:08 PM
I recently mounted a W100 under my TV and these mounts are designed to be mounted flat on the wall. There has been some talk about mounting them with some sort of angled bracket, but, so far I haven't heard from anyone that has actually done this. There is an "inside the wall" bracket that holds the speaker in the wall where the screws should to go straight into this bracket, so unless this bracket is also modified, you'll probably run into problems. With a 35 deg. angle, you'll also need longer screws.

Edit: You might want to consider the series of speakers that mount 100% in the wall. With these it might be easier to fashion some sort of angle bracket. Although by doing so, you might not get the sound quality these were designed for. Ditto with the in/on wall series.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 08:24 PM
Hi Dan, and welcome!

I would really recommend contacting Axiom directly about this to be sure!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 08:38 PM
I was thinking the video that Alan did with Audioholics showed black clip/bars that lock around the drywall, once tightened? I would think a slight downhill angle would be fine, but not sure.

Normally, you want the tweeters at "ear" level when seated, however, I suppose if you angled them downward it would work. You might want to consider the wall brackets Axiom offers and go with bookshelfs which will give you better bass performance.
Posted By: Luke Smith Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 08:57 PM
The W22s are meant to be as good as the M22s in all respects, including bass performance.... thats the whole idea.

I've got W3s and W150 that I put in myself. To mount them at an angle you will have to build a box off the wall with an angled front that they bolt into, probably out of plaster board and/or plywood. The retention indent is probably good enough up to about 15deg to stop them coming out.

The manual is on the product page... have a look and have a think about what you could do. I think the off-axis response is probably good enough that 15deg wont matter and you should put them in flat.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 09:42 PM
Luke, I have done comparisons, as has some Axiom employees. Due to physics and cabinet size it is not possible for them to be identicle in performance, especially in the lower frequencies.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 09:51 PM
I'm going to be mounting some W22's in a few weeks and I'm going to be interested in the sound quality difference, now that I'm used to the M22's. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed.
Posted By: jakewash Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 10:01 PM
M22's vs W22's and the other 22 variations, I would use Alan's favorite answer, "similarily good" which leaves room for slight differences and as Randy noted the lower frequencies are not as good.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 11:52 PM
Thanks Jay, yes they will sound similar in the treble, not so much the same in the midrange, and fall off more quickly in the lower bass frequencies. jmtcfwiw
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/09/10 11:53 PM
Cat, the W's will sound good, and unless your doing a side by side comparison, you may not notice a huge difference. A sub is a must.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 12:23 AM
If you have to angle down the W150, why not get the standard W150 and use a full metal bracket to angle it down?

My inlaws have the W22 and W150 per my recs. Sounds great, but yes, if you want the full surround sound experience, you'll want a sub.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 12:43 AM
I think the wall itself is already angled...
Posted By: DanF_Omaha Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 01:27 AM
Yes the wall is angled, speakers will be mounted flush on an angled wall.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 04:20 AM
Concerning installing W22. I was trying to avoid the sub in the living room. Mainly because of the expense. If I could get a good used one for now, that would be good, but craigslist in KC isn't showing much. I would probably either be dissappointed in one from BestBuy, or perhaps not even realize it's bad, because I've never had a good one. (HTIB before). Maybe Ignorance is Bliss.
Posted By: Luke Smith Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 07:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Luke, I have done comparisons, as has some Axiom employees. Due to physics and cabinet size it is not possible for them to be identicle in performance, especially in the lower frequencies.

I'm just going by their blurb...
"The W22 on-wall/in-wall hybrid speaker preserves the sonic clarity of its bookshelf equivalent, the M22, and adds a slim profile that is a perfect complement to today's modern low-profile plasma and LCD TV screens."

Says to me that they should sound "equivalant" ... I would have expected that the cabinet volume was the same, but hey, I guess not.

Back on topic- If the wall is 15deg from vertical then the mount should work okay, just make sure the speaker is locked into the frame properly.
Posted By: cb919 Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 02:09 PM
Agreed with Luke. I would check with Axiom to be sure however as Mark suggested.

The speakers slide down to lock into place, so I don't think a bit off of vertical will be a problem, but definitely make sure they look fully down into place.

Mine are installed on a standard vertical wall, but because I have young kids and the W150 is easily at their grabbing height, I made sure that it could not easily be pulled off of the wall. They really do lock onto the wall very solidly and it takes a pretty forceful upward motion to free them if they're locked into place properly.

And most importantly - they sound GREAT! \:D (but they do need a sub)
Posted By: Potatohead Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 08:44 PM
They should be ok, as long as they are locked into the bracket. As long as there is gravitational force pulling them towards the bottom of the bracket they should be fine. I would not install them in a flat ceiling, for example. They do take effort to snap into place, it's not really like they just sit there.

Agreed, they do need a sub, but they are killer overall.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/10/10 11:36 PM
I was listening to Pandora via Sonos on the W system last night. I tried it in stereo w/ no sub. For a medium sized room, the lack of sub is very noticeable when running only the W22's. Still good, but definitely lacking.
Posted By: jakewash Re: W-150, W-22 Mounting Question. - 02/12/10 07:17 AM
That's when you add a 3-4 db boost to the bass settings for the 22's ti makes them sound more M3'ish but still retain all the great '22 detail.
© Axiom Message Boards