Axiom Home Page
For my SACDs that are not Hybrid (not many, but enough to warrant this), I will need to create phantom CD tracks to be scanned back in SqueezeCenter (and iTunes for that matter).

My exact need is as follows: create a long (30-40 minutes) track of silence. Inside iTunes, it is trivial to change the "end time" and then "create an XYZ version" that will duplicate only the specified range. But I still need that first track.

Anyone knows of a quick way to do this?
Thanks in advance.
Well. I just started the "recording" accessories in Windows. Without a MIC, it records only silence. It will take me a while though as it is realtime!
Posted By: Redo Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/01/10 03:38 PM
Check out Audacity
I second Audacity. It's a fantastic open source sound editor.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Once you have it installed and running, choose Silence from the Generate menu, tell it the duration you want, then choose Export from the File menu and select your desired file type.
Thanks to both! It is exactly what I needed.
Posted By: Murph Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/01/10 04:00 PM
And you can make cool graphs and send them to sucky music producers with a "Dude, WTF?" title.
One done! Quite cool! It takes a bit of patience to look at the disk and find the track changes by color fading and then use a scaled measuring tape to get the actual track size (the booklet's track sizes don't account for in-between "negative" time added to separate works).
Of course, those data needs to be validated using "time left" function of the SACD disk change, which includes the blank spaces... \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/01/10 05:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Fred needs an intervention.
I'm surprised Fred has not replied yet...
Posted By: fredk Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/01/10 06:51 PM
What, did we win another gold??? Oh wait, that was yesterday.

::goes to make 'morning' coffee::
Posted By: Murph Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/02/10 05:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
I'm surprised Fred has not replied yet...

I have done this before. Eric - Fred, Fred - Eric.

I also claim hockey hangover. Actually, from now on I will just call you both Frederic. It has both names in one, I can't lose!
Posted By: fredk Re: Easiest way to create long silent tracks ? - 03/02/10 06:43 PM
Sorry, only my mother could call me Frederick, and that was never a good thing...
Have you tried Audacity, lol
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I second Audacity. It's a fantastic open source sound editor.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Once you have it installed and running, choose Silence from the Generate menu, tell it the duration you want, then choose Export from the File menu and select your desired file type.

Thanks, I needed a silent track to test my car deck for any feedback that may occur after it's installed.
That's good name. The forum name would then be: audak?
You got a car deck for your wheelchair? You're a maniac! \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards