Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Grandpa Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 06:54 PM
Just got my Axiom computer speakers with EPZero subwoofer. I have noticed a very repeatable problem. Not sure if it is caused by my new Digital Storm computer with Creative Labs Titanium sound or the speakers. After being shut off over night, when I first turn on the amplifier, there is a VERY loud popping noise that continues for a minute until it gradually fades away. Then the speakers seem to perform just fine. Any ideas for a cause?

I have tried turning off all the extras with the Titanium card and still makes the noise. I have to turn the sound all the way down before I power on the amp or it could be so loud as to damage the speakers. Even turned down the popping like sound can be heard.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 07:25 PM
Do you have an iPod or something like that to try out with the ABs?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 07:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Grandpa.

Have you tried turning the Audiobytes system on without it being hooked up to the computer/source? Does the popping still persist through the speakers when you turn the amp on?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 08:13 PM
I'd definitely try it with a different source. If it does still do it, call Axiom. My ABs don't pop at all.
Posted By: Grandpa Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 08:53 PM
Ah ha, I will try that tomorrow. If it dosn't do it then I will drag out an old computer and hook it up to that. I'll get back late tomorrow (got to work).
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/04/10 09:01 PM
No time for work tomorrow. Baseball season starts. Hooray! Starting to get a craving for some BBQ hotdogs already!
Posted By: Grandpa Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/05/10 12:03 PM
Ok. Input wire disconnected from the amp. I turn on the amp and bang bang bang bang it makes the noise again. I'll be contacting tech support tomorrow. Got to work today.

GO YANKEES!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/05/10 01:11 PM
Just to make sure (in case it is a build up from the previous connection), the exact test should be:
1. Disconnect the cable
2. Turn the device on and you SHOULD hear the popping noise
3. Waiting until it is silent
4. Turn off the amp and wait for a few seconds
5. Turn it back on. If you hear a noise contact Axiom immediately
6. If you DON'T hear a noise, it can STILL be a problem with the Audiobytes. You then need to re-do the same tests with a different input source.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/05/10 02:52 PM
Definitely contact Axiom Grandpa. Looking like there is probably a issue with the amp. Good luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: Grandpa Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/06/10 09:37 PM
The Tech seemed familiar with the problem. Apparently a few of the amps have a problem. They are sending another one.

PS: Bet the Yanks missed Damon and Matsui last game :-(

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/06/10 09:52 PM
Glad to hear they know what the problem is. Heres to the new amp they are sending you and the 2010 NY Yankees. (bangs beer mug)

PS: Looking like the same ol' Blue Jays for me \:\(

Cheers!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Loud pop type noise at start up - 04/06/10 10:40 PM
Too bad for the problem, but you are now part of the club that can appreciate the quality of Axiom's customer support!
© Axiom Message Boards