Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Marius Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/07/10 05:02 AM
I am considering to buy M60s vs M80s as my front speakers. I plan to buy an Emotiva UPA-7 as my amp.

There has been considerable discussion whether its older cousin, the LPA-7, is able to drive these speakers. I understand that the M80s 4 Ohm impedance could be a problem despite their high efficiency.

So, what is the verdict? Can I go with a UPA-7 and M80s or should I go with M60s? Tp be honest, M60s would be just fine for my HT room but I worry about pending upgraditis \:\)

Marius
Posted By: grunt Re: Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/07/10 08:40 AM
AFAIK there haven’t been any problems with the UPA-7s and the M80s. Just curious why your changing are you replacing the ASL Wave 8 mono’s or just need to add more channels of amplification? I ask because someone just posted that Outlaw was having a sale on their 2200 mono-blocks.

Also, IMO choosing the right speakers is more important to sound quality than choosing amplification and processing especially if your trying to avoid upgradeitis. In other words I wouldn’t base my speaker choice on what amp I wanted to buy but the other way around.

If the UPA-7 is a sure thing then you could always order a pair of M80s and if they don’t play well together I think if your still in the 30 day trial period you could send them back for a pair of M60 and I don’t think you would have to pay the shipping but you could check with Axiom to confirm that.

Cheers,
Dean
 Originally Posted By: grunt
If the UPA-7 is a sure thing then you could always order a pair of M80s and if they don’t play well together I think if your still in the 30 day trial period you could send them back for a pair of M60 and I don’t think you would have to pay the shipping but you could check with Axiom to confirm that.

As Dean wrote, check with Axiom on that. I always thought that you did pay shipping (unless you're upgrading) and in the example cited above, that wouldn't be the case.
Posted By: Marius Re: Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/07/10 07:02 PM
Yes, I am thinking of the UPA-7 in order to upgrade to 7.1. I love my Wave 8s. In fact, maybe I should forego the UPA-7 and buy 5 more Wave 8s instead (if I can find them). Marius
Posted By: jakewash Re: Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/08/10 08:53 AM
Or some Outlaw M2200's which are at a great price right now.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/08/10 11:25 AM
I think a stack of 2200s would be killer, to bad Axiom does not expand on their amp options.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Emotiva UPA-7 able to drive the M80s - 04/08/10 07:31 PM
If I hadn't just spent $800 on various new tools that have died since we moved into the new house, I would already have a pair of M2200's on the way.
© Axiom Message Boards