Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rappar Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/25/10 12:48 PM
I have a large collection of MP3 files on my Mac that I play using iTunes. What I would like to do is store these and have access to them using my home theatre. I like being able to use iTunes to sort my collection so would like, if possible, to keep that ability in anything I purchase. I've looked at the Apple TV and the Western Digital Live Media Player. It almost sounds that the Western Digital item also needs a hard drive connected to it for storage, it does not store files itself.
Is what I want possible? If so of the two, which is the better way to go or is there something else I should consider.
Thanks
Ron
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/25/10 02:26 PM
Well, there's also the Airport Express, but you need a computer open/awake to use that. ATV might be your best choice. There's also the Squeezebox lineup--again, I think you need a computer on for that one.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/25/10 03:32 PM
Do you have an Xbox 360 or PS3? What receiver do you have?
Posted By: rappar Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/25/10 08:28 PM
I have a Wii. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/26/10 04:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Well, there's also the Airport Express, but you need a computer open/awake to use that. ATV might be your best choice. There's also the Squeezebox lineup--again, I think you need a computer on for that one.

If you can keep iTunes running on a computer somewhere in the house, this is the best (cheapest) solution for you. If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, you can use that to control your iTunes as well.
Posted By: Cork Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/26/10 12:17 PM
The WD Live can use a hard drive, but it can also use a thumb drive or a network connection. It works pretty well for movies, so if you want to also route moveies throught your system then I recommend it. I don't think I'd use it just for music; the interface is not friendly enough. (It's clunky getting from one folder to the next. This is okay for a movie, becuase you do it once. But it I were selecting tunes it would quickly get old.)

Why not get a large iPod and hook it in directly?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/26/10 02:27 PM
That's what I do, but you do need a dock with a remote control. The other problem with that is that you're pretty much limited to shuffle.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 12:05 AM
Hi rappar,
Is your Mac a tower or a laptop? If you're portable with the Mac, what about using a mini display to HDMI adapter and just keep using your Mac and iTunes to feed your HT directly?

That's my low tech 2 cent thought for the day \:\)

Cheers,
Posted By: rappar Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 12:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: cb919
Hi rappar,
Is your Mac a tower or a laptop? If you're portable with the Mac, what about using a mini display to HDMI adapter and just keep using your Mac and iTunes to feed your HT directly?

That's my low tech 2 cent thought for the day \:\)

Cheers,

My Mac is an iMac. What I was hoping to do was store music on a hard drive not my Mac and play the music from the hard drive rather than have a link to my computer. I've read about Squeeze Box, just wondered if there was another way to do this.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 12:31 AM
In order to put it on a 'central' storage that can be seen by client box (like a Squeezebox, PS3, Xbox, new Tivo, etc), that storage needs to be smart. It has to run a DLNA server or iTunes server or similar.

If you leave your iMac on, then IT can be the server. With an Airport Express, it really is easy and cheap. And the Airport even supports optical output. Any other solutions will require you to buy some sort of Network Attached Storage (NAS) w/ DLNA and a client box.

Any particular reason you don't want the iMac on? Alternately, if you are trying to store the files on an external HDD, you can always point your iTunes to that particular drive and let it stream to the Airport Express that way. Then you don't have to use up the iMac's HDD space.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 12:45 AM
Good summary oldskool. I was just trying to keep things simple.

rappar - If you're looking for options there are a number of solutions out there.

There are smart NAS solutions from DLink, Synology and Buffalo to name a few.

For streaming solutions there's Sonos (which is not cheap but is very user friendly), Squeezebox and AirPort on the more cost effective side.

My personal setup is a D-Link 323 with both DLNA and iTunes servers running. I use the iTunes server for my Macbook and the DLNA server for my PS3 streaming. I also use the Sonos system for audio streaming to various points in my house. Took me a bit to get everything working 'just right', but it's a great setup now.

Cheers,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 04:34 AM
I'd say that an ATV would be the best choice in that circumstance, especially if you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone (or an iPad?). Then you can use the Apple Remote software on the p(h)o(a)d(ne) to control it. That's what my boss does.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 06:57 PM
When you said squeezebox you did not mention which model you had looked at so thought I'd just point out that I believe the newish squeezebox touch can play music directly from a usb drive without the need of a computer.
Posted By: INANE Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/27/10 10:04 PM
My personal experiences is I have a dedicated HTPC (MCE) in the living room that ties to my WHS sitting in the basement plus a Xbox 360 in the bedroom that interfaces to the HTPC.

But before I picked up the 360 I was looking at other devices and nearly picked this Patriot Box Office up, might be worth looking into for your needs. I personally don't have anything positive to say about Apple or itunes so I will bite my tongue and this device lacks itunes itself... not sure how you could get itunes without having a HTPC of sorts or an AppleTV. But this thing is pretty affordable, can even put a hdd in it if you'd like.

Review:
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/12/29/patriot_memorys_box_office_media_player_review/1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...9-002-_-Product
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Storing/playing MP3 files - 04/28/10 12:18 AM
Or just plug your iPod into an iPod dock on your AVR...
© Axiom Message Boards