Axiom Home Page
Posted By: obsi Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 12:51 AM
Will its orientation make a noticeable difference (in the same location)? e.g. EP800 or EP600

Thanks!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 12:57 AM
Theoretically, no, but of course the woofers will be in a different position vertically.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 01:18 AM
I've had my EP600 vertical and horizontal in many positions in my room, haven't noticed a difference.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 02:10 AM
With the upper driver in particular being closer to the floor when the sub is horizontal, the floor to ceiling room mode(max at floor or ceiling)would be excited a bit more strongly, but the effect wouldn't likely be large enough to make a noticeable difference.
Posted By: obsi Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 05:19 AM
You may just be on to something there...my pj goes into full de-zoom when the eD's hit certain bass heavy notes. was gonna try isolating the mount, but will try to stand those bad boys up first. Thanks so much for that insight.

When you eliminate the impossible, whetever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...
Posted By: Captain4105 Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 06:42 AM
I've noticed that most HSU subs are down-firing. I am considering a VTF-2 MK3. I am interested is a very musical sub that can also take advantage of the the LFE in DVD's. I also plan to buy M60's. No other speakers for now. My concern is that my listening and equipment will be upstairs over the living room. Will a down-firing sub penetrate through the floor more than a front-firing sub? I suppose those low waves will penetrate any way but will the degree of difference be significant? The sub will be placed on carpeting as well. Can anyone recommend front-firing subs equivalent to the HSU? Axiom, SVS (box type), Ed etc...? Thanks to all.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sub standing up or lying down? - 05/12/10 07:18 AM
Lee, there shouldn't be an appreciable difference. The down-firing driver might be two inches from the floor and the front driver about ten inches. The orientation wouldn't matter at all and the slight difference in distance to the floor would have only the most minimal effect on the level of sound reaching the floor. Base your purchase decision on other factors.
© Axiom Message Boards