Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 03:44 AM
I inserted the BR disc '9' into the PS3 this evening and the 'loading' screen played for a few seconds but nothing else after that, tried this several times after turning off and unplugging the PS3 with no avail, I tried three other BR disc and they all loaded and played perfectly fine but always nothing with the '9' disc. We watched the movie whenever we first got it a month or so back and the disc loaded and played without a hitch.

Anybody know why it would do that?

I believe I'm about ready to give up the ghost on the PS3 and order an Oppo BD-83.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:09 AM
Try turning changing the BD-Live setting to "Confirm", and say "No", when starting the disc. Some discs, at some times, have trouble contacting the server for what ever content they're trying to pull from the 'net, and then they just sit there.

Read the AVS thread on the Oppo, it has the same problem with random discs not working for some people, while working for others. They always say the same thing, disable BD-Live, and clear the BD data cache.
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:13 AM
The one little item I do not like about the BD-83 is that it does not stream Netflix.

I'll go try your suggestion Chris, thanks!
Posted By: CV Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:25 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I believe I'm about ready to give up the ghost on the PS3

Wait, what exactly is dying in this scenario?
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:28 AM
Nothing happening Chris, the only thing I get is the little square 'loading' box in the middle of the screen with the blue bar across the top edge, after that I don't have any control with the remote to do anything else and nothing else happens whenever the 'loading' box disappears. I popped in another disc just now and it loaded fine.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:30 AM
You can look through the BD Data Utility folder, and the Shared Cache fold under that. In the main one remove anything that has to do with 9. In the shared folder you can remove everything.
Posted By: fredk Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:32 AM
If you get up close and personal with the PS3 does it sound like the disc is spining up and down in a continual cycle? Maybe its having trouble with the index track on the disc.
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:32 AM
Alrighty I'll do that first thing in the morning Chris. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

I'll report back.
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:33 AM
OK, let me go fire up the system again ... we'll get it figured out!

\:D
Posted By: CV Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:36 AM
OK, let me go fire up the system again ... we'll get it figured out!

That's the spirit!
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:43 AM
Chris I deleted '9' from the the BD Utility folder and it is loading up fine now, that was it the problem!

Thanks Fred and Chris!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:43 AM
You're welcome. \:D
Posted By: CV Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:44 AM
Chris I deleted '9' from the the BD Utility folder and it is loading up fine now, that was it the problem!

I'm just glad I was here to witness it.
Posted By: fredk Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:47 AM
Interesting. So the PS3 stores information related to every single disc it plays?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:48 AM
Every BD-Java disc which requests it. All BD Profile 1.1 players do this.

The PS3 just lets you see which titles are storing information, and delete them individually. When this problem occurs on the Oppo, you have to clear the entire internal memory.
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:48 AM
It was a momentous occasion that you certainly didn't want to miss CV, congrats!
Posted By: RickF Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 04:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Interesting. So the PS3 stores information related to every single disc it plays?

Mine had six or seven movie titles in the cache.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 05:09 AM
I noticed my PS3 had movies in the cache, too.
Posted By: CV Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 05:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
cache, too

Bless you.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Blu Ray disc not playing - 05/22/10 05:21 AM
Denks!
© Axiom Message Boards