Axiom Home Page
I'm starting build my rack at home. For now, I need a 24-port gigabit, unmanaged switch. It's going to connect several slingboxes, Wii, PS3, Tivos, MediaSmart Server, several Airport Extremes/Express (11n), Macbooks, Mac Mini, webcams, AVR, etc.

Requirements
- All ports are gigabit
- Jumbo frame support
- Runs cool. This'll be stored in a garage rack but I want to make sure the inside temps are manageable w/ 'some' active ventilation.

Nice to have but not required
- Trunking
- Stacking port, could be GBIC but doesn't have to be.
- VLAN

I can live w/ unmanaged. Looking for something around $300. There's a couple on Newegg but curious if anyone here has direct experience.

OK IT guys, let's hear it.
I'll be of no help since we don't buy anything in your price range at work. We're running 10G in the data center and need to manage everything.
You're not going to get trunking, stacking, or VLAN on an unmanaged switch, because those are features which require some sort of management interface to configure.

For cheap, fast, cool running, I use Netgear's purple switches with the metal cases (not the silver plastic ones). Don't know if you can get 24 ports for $300, but it should be around there.
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'll be of no help since we don't buy anything in your price range at work. We're running 10G in the data center and need to manage everything.

Ha, maybe I should just set up some virtual GBE Nics and get a 10G swtich.
Also useless. I always buy Cisco. I have a Netgear 24 port gigE switch sitting on my desk, but the management interface is horrible and I'm not fond of the thing at all. I seem to recall that when we were using it, we had to restart it all the time.

OTOH, a former client of mine has been running just fine with their 16 port Netgear switch for a long time. Never used the management interface on that one.
Hi there,

I have been running with a netgear Prosafe GS116 (16 Port) for quite a while now (about 3 years now) and have had no problems with it whatsoever. WIth the metal casing it runs cool, so no moving parts which is great.

I have a PS3, NAS, Media Server,WII etc.

With the sort of features you're after you would probably be looking at something more in the business market.

Hope this helps
Hard to beat Cisco stuff, but admittedly their prices are not exactly consumer friendly and configuration is a challenge if you are not already a Cisco person.
So you should be the Cisco Kid or perhaps this version, as this a music oriented site \:\)
Also, I don't think you're going to get jumbo frames without a managed switch.
D-Link's is listed as supporting jumbo frames.
You don't know who you're D-Link with.
Yeah, I might get that DLINK. I can get it for $150 shipped. Not bad.
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Yeah, I might get that DLINK. I can get it for $150 shipped. Not bad.

Been running that d-link in my rack for a year without a hickup
I feel like the techno version of Rip Van Winkle. Maybe I should buy myself a managed switch to get ahead of the curve again. It might make a nice coffee table...
The HP 1810G-24 or 1800-24G would be good choices. Fanless, web managed, trunking, jumbo frame, and good vlan support. Just a little over $300 depending where you buy.

The Dell PowerConnect 2816 is another option and it has spanning-tree, I think, and a minimal CLI if you don't like the web management, but it's only 16 ports. Its older brother the 2716 can sometimes be had on eBay very cheap. The 27xx are a little picky about browsers for their web management though.

Avoid the Dell 2724 and 2824. They have fans. The HP units are probably the way to go.
© Axiom Message Boards