Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rad_sci_guy ep350 no sound - 07/06/10 06:02 PM
Hi everyone

I just traded up subs from the ep125 to the ep350 v3. I got the 350 yesterday and when I plugged it in it was receiving power (green light) but there was no sound coming out. I'm using a coaxial cable attached to the provided phono adapter and plugging that into the sub. This cable does work with the ep125 plugged directly into that sub's line in (it's an older model).

The receiver doesn't see the sub when I run the auto calibrate. Also I tried the white nose sound level testing on the receiver and I can only hear noise when I attach the ep125.

Does anyone know what might cause this?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: ep350 no sound - 07/06/10 06:12 PM
I would call or e-mail Axiom with this problem. I didn't see a solution in the EP350 trouble shooting guide.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: ep350 no sound - 07/06/10 06:14 PM
Double check that you've pushed the phono adapter in firmly. Otherwise, call Axiom, they may be able to walk you through some ideas of what to try.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: ep350 no sound - 07/06/10 06:20 PM
I'm virtually certain it's the phono adapter not being quite seated right. I had the same problem with mine.
Posted By: Jc Re: ep350 no sound - 07/06/10 06:43 PM
Hi rad_sci_guy,
I just email you a trick to eliminbate the possibility of a phono to rca adaptor issue.

Good luck
Posted By: rad_sci_guy Re: ep350 no sound - 07/09/10 03:56 PM
just to keep everyone else informed about this problem should it happen to others, JC suggested I hook up the sub using speaker wire to eliminate the possibility of a jack issue. When I did that there was still no sound from the sub.

Axiom is now sending me a replacement amp for the sub. I'll be exchanging the amp and sending Axiom back the old one.
Posted By: rad_sci_guy Re: ep350 no sound - 07/10/10 09:59 AM
Well I tried the second amp in the sub and the same problem, no sound.

I thought there may be a connection problem with the cone and the amp, so I removed the cone and when I looked inside the box I found a disconnected speaker wire. I re-connected the wire and fired up the sub one more time and this time I had sound.

All is well.
Posted By: CV Re: ep350 no sound - 07/10/10 10:20 AM
Congratulations on finding the fix!
Posted By: jakewash Re: ep350 no sound - 07/10/10 06:11 PM
I am somewhat surprised Axiom didn't ask you to do that in the first place. I am also surprised none of us suggested it right away as well, we are slipping up!

Glad you fixed it. Are you happy with the sounds coming from it now?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: ep350 no sound - 07/11/10 09:22 PM
Same thing happened to me once on an EP500. Not sure how this gets to shipping and passed quality control, and unlikely it happened in shipment. But I was told that the person on the line would be notified. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: ep350 no sound - 07/11/10 09:27 PM
Have you ever worked on an assembly line? We function check every single seat that comes off the line before shipping to Toyota to make sure all electrical connections are good and we still sent the odd seat through with a faulty connection.

I would think that if the connector was not seated properly It could have been shaken bounced/thumped loose in transport.
© Axiom Message Boards