Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DaMagicman Sub Connection - 07/23/10 04:08 AM
Totally confused right now...I used to just connect my coaxial cable from my reciever pre-out sub to my LFE sub with no issue..but now with this EP-350..the coaxial cable will not go into the female 1/4 RCA plug that is attach to the sub...do I need a special cable for this? Do this cable come in different sizes?
AxorPar <<<totally out of touch with technology
Onkyo NR-3007
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 04:13 AM
Do you mean the 1/4" phone plug? The sub should have come with an adapter. It looks like a mono headphone plug on one end, and the female RCA on the other at a right angle.

You connect your sub cable to that, and then insert the phone plug into the jack on the sub (make sure it's in all the way).

Axiom did this, because the straight-in RCA jacks were the most often thing to break on the older design. This way there's a more solid XLR/phone jack, and the RCA is at an angle.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 06:26 AM
I agree with you Chris. I thought I had broken mine while I was moving it around but thank Axiom it did not! I also was a little confused about the 1/4" plug, had to read to manual because I have not seem that thing on a sub till now. ( I only had crap sub FYI)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 02:19 PM
To be fair, the Axiom design is pretty unique.

Although, now that I think about it, my studio monitors (which are about 10 years old) have the same jack, but didn't come with an adapter, I run an RCA to phone cable on those.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 04:04 PM
I just have this 1/4" plug that goes into the sub xlr/phone in(step 1)...the problem I have is that my coaxial cable don't seems to fit on the female end of this RCA plug...do you guys have to force the coaxial (male) cable in to that RCA plug female end....I never seem one that just doesn't slide in ...hmm its only one adaptor that come with this sub right??? I'm so frustrated I thinking of sending this sub back????
Posted By: Murph Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 04:43 PM
Maybe some pictures of the plugs would help.

In any case, if you do need an adapter besides the Axiom provided one, it would only cost a couple of dollars to buy locally or online vs. all the money and trouble to ship back what is otherwise probably a perfectly good sub.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 05:16 PM
What kind of RCA cable are you using? Some brands have very tight plugs. Sounds like you got it right. It should fit, go ahead and press harder.

Post pics if you can, maybe something is bent. We can help point out a problem if we can see it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 07:05 PM
Yeah, if you're using a Monster cable, they're miserably tight RCA plugs.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 07:09 PM
So are some old Radio Shack RCA connections I have. As if, tighter must be better, so "our top 'O The Line Gold series are so tight they'll rip the connector out of your circuit board"....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 07:09 PM
Yeah, I've got a set of those, too. So irritating.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub Connection - 07/23/10 11:08 PM
Personally, I wish Axiom would have left alone what worked in the past, like other sub mfg's. But that is just me.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Sub Connection - 07/24/10 12:43 AM
They changed the input on the subs?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub Connection - 07/24/10 06:06 AM
That was it though, it wasn't working. Seems one of the biggest repair issues were broken RCA jacks. So the changed the connector to a more robust format.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Sub Connection - 07/24/10 01:35 PM
I finally got my male coaxial cable to go in to the rca female jack...but it took alot of effort...have not got the chance to check if the sub work coz' it was late when I finally got around to it. thx 4 all reply
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub Connection - 07/24/10 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
They changed the input on the subs?

Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Sub Connection - 07/24/10 09:55 PM
I guess so..that's what my Ep350 back look like..I plugged in the adaptor that came with the sub to the Xlr/phone in...the problem is right now for me I can't get the sub to work..hopefully its just my onkyo 3007 setting....once I got all my speakers hook up I'll try the audessy calibration and see if I could have the sub to work..cross my fingers
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Sub Connection - 07/30/10 10:21 PM
I finally got my sub to work and can't really tell if my set-up was good..coz between the wii and ps3 and I don't have me time....darn kids...anyone have a good suck up gig..so that I could get a new TV...I'm open for suggestion....
© Axiom Message Boards