Axiom Home Page
Posted By: txfeinbergs Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 05:50 PM
I am sure this is answered somewhere in the forums already, but despite several searches, I could not find it (only a few posts about mislabed speakers).

Anyway, I have the M60's at 8 ohms, the QS8's at 6 ohms, and the VP150s at 6 ohms. What ohm setting should I set my receiver to? I have a choice of 4, 6 and 8 ohms - but I can only pick one value for the whole system. The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-32 (or will be when it actually arrives). Thanks!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 05:54 PM
I'll chime in since I got here first. But it has always been said in these forums to always use the 8 ohm setting. The other options are for government regulation purposes only.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 05:59 PM
Yes, leave it at 8 ohms, using a lower setting will actually limit the power to your speakers(not good).
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 06:14 PM
Hi txfeinbergs,

It doesn't matter if you are connecting 4, 6 or 8ohm speakers to the receiver or a mixture of the above, ALWAYS leave the impedance switch to 8 ohms. For a more detailed explanation on why this is the case, you can find the answer in the link below.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/fre...er-or-amplifier
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 06:16 PM
One more for effect.

Leave it at 8 Ohms, no matter what speakers you have connected.

laugh
Posted By: RickF Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 07:06 PM
Just leave it set to 8 ohms.

grin
Posted By: txfeinbergs Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 07:18 PM
So I should set it at 6 ohms? Just kidding! Thanks guys, message received loud and clear!
Posted By: fredk Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/28/10 10:45 PM
grin You'll fit right in here.
Do all receivers have a way to configure the speakers ohm settings?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/29/10 12:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
Do all receivers have a way to configure the speakers ohm settings?

No. Not all receivers have the impedance switch.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Mixture of 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers - 07/29/10 02:04 AM
Brent, welcome. You're apparently a quick study and will leave it set at 8 ohms. A broader point that could also be made is not to pay as much attention to the nominal impedance that the manufacturers put on a speaker as many seem to do. The impedances of most speakers vary widely as frequency varies(for example, my "8 ohm" M22s vary between about 3 ohms and 20 ohms). The average impedance over the entire frequency range is more significant than the minimum impedance, since it more closely corresponds to the load on an amplifier when playing music than would a test run at the minimum impedance.
© Axiom Message Boards