Axiom Home Page
http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/impedance-selector-switch-1
Yes DH, just finished reading Gene's fine article. Fortunately, here our members have been given more realistic advice about the voltage-limiting lower impedance setting and don't use it, despite what the manuals have to direct. In contrast, some other boards that I scan are full of dire warnings if the manufacturer's directive isn't followed, and discussion of speakers which happen to have a nominal 4 ohm rating approaches near-hysteria at times.
The Axiom board deserves a gold star JohnK. What is interesting to note is not the stated 4 ohm nominal rating but where in the frequency range the impedance dips are occurring. This explains why 8 ohm rated speakers like the M22 that dip down to 3 ohms (the version based on the soundstage measurements) never caused A/VR's to go into protect mode because the dip is occurring higher in the frequency range at 4k. Even though the M60, M80 and VP180 which have slightly higher minimum impedance dips but where they are occurring is in the 50hz and below range which will cause much greater demands on the AVR at reference levels.

Great article, thanks for linking Dr.
Thanks Dr. House..that was great article...I don't know how many times I asked this impedance business in different forums and got answer all over the place. Dean was actually big help for me clarifying this impedance issue with me. I even experment with my onkyo3007 to select 4 and 6 ohms(highest setting for reciever..I don't really notice any difference..So I'm back to 6 ohms setting and so far no shutdown. I have my system for 3 weeks now and enjoying it. Again great article. thx
Leave it at the 6 ohm setting and keep your receiver well ventilated in an open rack/space.

Enjoy!
© Axiom Message Boards