Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 05:28 PM
Anyone ever use one of these?

4 way selector

With as many speakers as I seem to demo at home. (Seems to have become my new hobby) I was thinking one of these would come in REALLY handy. Having to switch the cables back and forth between speakers makes critical listening between different pairs really difficult.

Posted By: twodan19 Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 05:38 PM
i recently went to tweeter and think i bought a 4 speaker switching box by tivoli?? i used the speaker b outputs as the box input, then from there select what speakers ( remote) i want. sold for $100.00, but it's customary to get a 10% discount. i also had a $25.00 gift certificate which made the deal sweeter. it requires no voltage.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 06:13 PM
It looks interesting. Certainly a handy idea for those who do alot of auditioning.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 06:55 PM
The best way to audition, of course, is to have a 3rd party set the speakers up and do the switching for you while you listen blindfolded.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 08:57 PM
I'll have them all hooked up, and someone else will indeed be doing the switching.

I'm going to grab one of these switchers and have some fun.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 11:15 PM
Make sure you don't cheat by memorizing the positions of those speakers!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 11:17 PM
Me, cheat? Ha! Besides, my only loyalty is to my ears, not any particular company. (Sorry Amie!)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 11:20 PM
But what will you do if your new favorite speaker comes from a manufacturer without an online forum?!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/02/03 11:28 PM
Hey...I'm not going anywhere. This is by far one of the best audio boards on the web.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 01:00 AM
be careful not to run too many speakers at once,the impedance might drop too low,unless that model protects against that.you might want to check....ron
Posted By: HGP Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 05:52 AM
Be sure to check the maximum power handling capacity of the switch. I bought the basic $10 switch from Radio Shack and had to return it because it only handled 10 watts. The $20 switch handles 50 watts (which might be fine on a 100-watt receiver so long as your not cranking out the last 3 dB).
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 07:39 AM
The one I plan on picking up is rated to 100 watts. We'll have three pairs hooked up (it holds 4) and we won't be cranking it very loud. All should be well. Thanks for the tips though! I'll post a message with my thoughts on the speakers I try out.

Posted By: sushi Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 09:44 AM
So, are you going to "leak" at least as to what are those 3 pairs?

The M22, the Veritas 2.2, and???
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 03:39 PM
Can't say yet.
Posted By: alan Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 04:17 PM
Hi Spiffnme,

Do 'em in mono first. (See my post under Home Theater). You'll be amazed at how prominent some tonal differences will be when you A/B two single speakers in mono.

Have fun.

Regards,
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 04:44 PM
This may be a dumb question, but is the best way to listen in mono, to simply disconnect one channel?
Posted By: sushi Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 05:13 PM
Alan,

Indeed, you keep piquing my curiosity and always keep me learning. Thanks!

So, when you guys do a blind-test session for product development and magazine reviews etc, you usually start with mono first to get a feel on their character? Any other nifty "tips" for A/B testing the speakers?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/03/03 07:04 PM
My only thought on the mono idea is this:

If you do a comparison in mono, and find that one particular speaker sounds quite "off", wouldn't that knowledge sway your thoughts when listening to stereo, even if in stereo that same speaker sounds proper?

I'm always a little confused by listening sessions that deviate from "real world" application.

Educate me!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/04/03 01:13 AM
I've begun the listening...damn Axiom makes some amazing speakers...I have a lot more listening to do before I post anything, but I gotta tell you so far it's be FUN!
Posted By: Saturn Re: Radio Shack speaker selector - 07/05/03 02:15 AM
I'd like to know too!
Any hint Spiffnme?
© Axiom Message Boards