Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DaveSmith Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:01 AM
Help, I think my sub might be dead.
Couple of days ago, I started hearing "knocking" thumping from my sub even when my amp was off. I turned off the sub thinking it was maybe some interference from somewhere.
Now, when I turned the sub back on, all I'm hearing is a hum from the it and nothing else even when music or a movie is playing.
The sub is a EP175, less then 1 year old.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:19 AM
I'd definitely call axiom and see what they have to say. Sounds like an amp issue
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: DaveSmith
Help, I think my sub might be dead.
Couple of days ago, I started hearing "knocking" thumping from my sub even when my amp was off. I turned off the sub thinking it was maybe some interference from somewhere.
Now, when I turned the sub back on, all I'm hearing is a hum from the it and nothing else even when music or a movie is playing.
The sub is a EP175, less then 1 year old.

Definitely call Axiom. Those symptoms sound a lot like a defective amp on the sub or one about to fail. Leave the subwoofer turned off and unpluged in the meantime.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:30 AM
This reminds me of an issue I completely forgot I that had with my ep500 not long afer I bought it... I heard a thumping noise that I swear was someone in the attic but it turned out to be my sub. I unugged it and plugged it back in and it stopped. I think that it happened on another 1 or 2 occassions. I had no problems for the last couple of years until the recent issues described in my "ep500 stopped working" thread.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 10:40 AM
Sub issues notwithstanding, those knocking sounds WERE COMING FROM THE ATTIC!!!

GET OUT....GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 12:15 PM
Yeah, I was seriously about to call the police and my wife and I were really freaked out. I even poked my head into the attic and looked around with a flashlight!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 12:51 PM
And you weren't even thinking about a scythe beheading you? smile
Posted By: DaveSmith Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to give them a call after Thanksgiving Monday. We should all get a day off wink
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 02:57 PM
Is today Canadian thanksgiving?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:00 PM
Yeah the thumping thing was really creepy mark- My receiver and everything was turned off so I didn't suspect my sub at all. I was a little apprehensive about peaking in the attic but I thought maybe it was some type of animal up there... But it was so loud I thought maybe it was a person. Either way I had to look. Yikes!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Is today Canadian thanksgiving?

Yes smile
Posted By: Jc Re: Dead sub? - 10/11/10 05:15 PM
Hi Dave,
As per my reply to your email, simply dial Axiom's toll free number (1.866.244.8796). Axiom has an audio expert on the phone 7 days a week and today (Thanksgiving or not) I'm here for you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dead sub? - 10/12/10 02:03 AM
I had the same thing as David, a few years back I heard an occasional thumppppppp or woooooooooooooof coming from somewhere. At first I thought it was rolling thunder off in the distance, but no storms around. It sounded to be coming from within the walls at the porterplex. I know a lot of you think the plex is haunted. It turned out being my 600, unplugging it for a bit fixed the issued. Still no explanation for the stored energy.

Posted By: SRoode Re: Dead sub? - 10/12/10 06:39 PM
I think it's because the sub's got soul!
© Axiom Message Boards