Axiom Home Page
Posted By: x94blair3 Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 04:20 PM
Is this a problem? I discovered one of mine was dented and in the process of trying to restore to its prior beauty, it fell off. Should I just get some superglue and put it back on? Or does it even matter outside of aesthetics?

-Nick
Posted By: bdpf Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 04:40 PM
I don't think it's there for aesthetic (personally I don't think it looks good). As the name suggests I think it's there to prevent dust and small particles to get inside the driver so I would put it back.
Posted By: Wid Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 04:41 PM

I'd call Axiom if they are under warranty and look into getting a new driver.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 04:45 PM
I wouldn't count on the warranty covering damaged caused by trying to repair damage.

But I would check with them on whether it's possible/advisable to re-glue. Failing that, I think a new driver is something between $40-60.
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 05:37 PM
you should definitely contact Axiom to see what is or isn't do-able under the warranty. Of course the other and to me the bigger question is how did it get dented in the first place and how to prevent it from happening again in the future. anyone in my house gets too close to my gear, man, woman, boy, girl or cat is going to get it and they are all aware of that rule! nothing is more important than my stuff!
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 06:11 PM
Yeah, I'm really not sure how it got dented. But I was surprised at how easily came off. However after looking closely at the others and noticing the glue lines (or whatever adhesive they're using), it seemed quite reasonable it fell off. I'll contact axiom and see what they think.

-Nick
Posted By: alan Re: Dust cap fell off - 12/23/10 07:29 PM
Hi Nick,

The dust cap has no sound-generating function whatsoever. It's there to keep dust from getting into the voice-coil and magnetic gap--the motor of the driver. I don't know what adhesive is being used but none of my dust caps have ever fallen off of any speakers of the many brands I've owned. A neighbor's cat once dented the dustcap of a KEF driver in a transmission line sub I'd built, blah, blah.

Anyway, call Brent or JC re the cap. I think Super Glue would be fine but check with them. Of course, if it isn't very dusty up there in Grand Rapids, you could leave it off. It might look peculiar, however.

Cheers,
Alan
© Axiom Message Boards