Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Stereoguy99 Streaming Music Question - 01/06/11 08:04 PM
Hi to everyone here wishing all of you a Happy/Healthy 2011!!!(yes I'm 6 days late)The question I have is I want to stream music from my PC to my PS-3 looking at foobar2000,PS-3 media server and a few others what is the general consensus as to the best one? Thanks and again hope 2011 is a great year for everyone!! grin
Posted By: jakewash Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/06/11 08:31 PM
No idea, but welocme back and a happy New Year to you too! smile

Chris, any thoughts for this gentleman?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/06/11 08:37 PM
Since my music collection is in wave file format, I've just used Windows Media Player as the DLNA server. But I wouldn't recommend it to others, it isn't really a good solution (but it is free, and already installed).
Posted By: Dduval Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 12:36 AM
PS-3 media server is the way to go, I've been using that for over a year now. Excellent server. What's cool is, now that I have a networked AVR, I don't even need to turn my PS3 on anymore.

PS-3 media server streams my Flac files directly to my avr, very cool.

Dana
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 12:39 AM
Can the PS3 play flac files? I didn't think it could.

I use TVersity media server which streams all of my Flac files to my denon 3808. Works great, but the denon interface is a little slow.

I highly recommend looking into TVersity. It is also free.

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 12:41 AM
link to Tversity, check it out.

http://tversity.com/
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 01:19 AM
Some media servers, I'm guessing PS-3 Media Server, can transcode unsupported formats into supported ones on the fly. That's especially easy for audio, since DLNA supports PCM streaming, all the server has to do is decode the file and send the resulting data over the network.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 01:43 AM
I use Tversity as well, works pretty good for music, I have trouble with mkv files though.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 02:17 AM
Yeah, TVersity can do the transcoding thing for music and video but I leave it turned off. I'm not sure what the point of having files in flac format would be if you transcode it into mp3 to play on the PS3 or 360...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 02:18 AM
I use MKV2VOB and sneakernet the files over the the PS3. But the resulting MPG files should be able to served up by any good media server after that.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 02:19 AM
You don't have the server transcode MP3, you have it go to PCM (wave).
Posted By: Dduval Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 02:32 AM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Can the PS3 play flac files? I didn't think it could.

With PS3 Media Server, the PS3 plays flac perfectly...

Dana
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 04:24 AM
Chris, that makes more sense. So I assume that the ps3 media server is just transcoding the FLAC files into PCM format then? I might give that a try with TVersity. It's nice to play music straight from my avr but like I said he interface is slow so I wouldn't mind exploring other options.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 04:30 AM
I can't say for sure, but that's probably what it is doing. Can you press the green triangle button on a formerly FLAC file, and tell the PS3 to save it? Then again green triangle the saved file and check it's info. That'll tell you what format it was transcoded into.
Posted By: Stereoguy99 Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/07/11 05:17 AM
Hi: Thanks for the advice so far. Have a great weekend everyone!
Posted By: Cork Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/08/11 05:40 PM
I must be dense, because I'm not getting something with this whole streaming thing. Here's my situation - I have a NAS which has mp3 files. I have a receiver that has no network connection and no display device. What do I have to add to stream to the receiver?

I figure I could add a media box (WD and Seagate have them, or Popcornhour), but since I don't have a display device I wouldn't be able to select anything. Or do you guys initiate the streaming for another device, and then just have the receiver playing whatever it receives somehow?
Posted By: Cork Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/08/11 05:41 PM
I must be dense, because I'm not getting something with this whole streaming thing. Here's my situation - I have a NAS which has mp3 files. I have a receiver that has no network connection and no display device. What do I have to add to stream to the receiver?

I figure I could add a media box (WD and Seagate have them, or Popcornhour), but since I don't have a display device I wouldn't be able to select anything. Or do you guys initiate the streaming for another device, and then just have the receiver playing whatever it receives somehow?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/08/11 06:20 PM
Without a display it is harder to see what you are asking for, I would sugesst something like this:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745
Posted By: Cork Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/09/11 01:24 PM
Thanks Jason, that looks exactly like what I was looking for. (Well that or the Duet.) Much appreciated!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/09/11 03:03 PM
Id be interested in trying the ipad control of the squeezebox system... (if I had a squeezebox and an ipad that is).

http://www.squeezepad.com/
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/10/11 01:37 AM
SqueezeBoxes require that you run a server application (called the SqueezeBox Server) to serve your music files to the SqueezeBox player (the Touch or the Duet).

You say that you have your MP3 files on a NAS. You can run the SB Server on the NAS if it supports it, or on a PC where the MP3 files are mounted as a network drive.

Running the server on the PC means that you have to have your PC on to play music. You can have it turn on automatically via Wake On LAN, which is OK for most people.

Running the server on the NAS allows you to play music any time, assuming you keep the NAS running 24/7.

What NAS do you have? Not all NAS's support or run the SqueezeBox server very well.

If you go with a SqueezeBox be prepared to tinker quite a bit before you get things working the way you like. I am very happy with my SqueezeBox Touch, and whenever something does not work I turn to the SqueezeBox forums.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/10/11 07:42 AM
I haven't been very happy with the way my DNS-323 serves up the tunes I have put on it. I am currently looking into other servers to load up onto it, Twonky Media server looks to be the most popular. My other choice is running an old 1.6Ghz P4 PC as a server, files and media. I have loaded Ubuntu server onto this box and have been playing around with Rhythmbox; this doesn't look too bad either. Still neither one looks as nice as my dead Linksys NAS200 handled my tunes for me, may it R.I.P.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/10/11 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
My other choice is running an old 1.6Ghz P4 PC as a server, files and media.

That's exactly what I am doing (at least I found a way to still use my working P4 :)) and use Tversity (free) as a server and send the media to my WDTV live since my AVR doesn't have network capability. Works OK, although the interface could be better.
Posted By: Cork Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/10/11 03:43 PM
>> What NAS do you have?

I have a low end consumer NetGear ReadyNAS Duo. Browsing their forum, it looks as if the Duo does support Squeezebox. Although given my rookie NAS status, it may be a challege to install.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/10/11 05:15 PM
If I ever get a server working the way I like on the 1.6 ghz system I would move it to my 3 ghz AMD K7 system as it has SATA drive ability off the mobo and the case can support 6 drives smile
Posted By: Stereoguy99 Re: Streaming Music Question - 01/11/11 08:21 PM
Hi: Going to try PS-3 Media Server first.What settings should I change/use for it? Thanks if it doesn't work will try Tversity next.How do you set it up to "talk" with a PS-3? Thanks
© Axiom Message Boards