Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GregLee Grill cloth material? - 01/23/11 09:22 PM
What material does Axiom use for grills? Polyester, rayon, nylon, or ...? I want to dye my tan grills black, and odds of success would be higher if I know what the material is.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/23/11 10:06 PM
Greg, I don't know what the material is, but here's instructions via Axiom on how to paint them.
Posted By: GregLee Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/23/11 10:29 PM
That's very interesting. It hadn't occurred to me to paint my grilles, since I would have thought that would sort of kill the high frequencies. Especially going from tan to black, since I would have to lay on a lot of paint to get coverage.

I did try to dye some other light grilles black, using RIT dye on my front height speakers from Cambridge Sound Works, but they turned brown. They don't look awful, but they are definitely not black. I'm hoping to get better results with the Axiom grilles.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/23/11 10:37 PM
You could just buy new grills from Axiom. They're pretty reasonably priced.

Oh wait, just saw your sig list. That would be a lot of grills.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/23/11 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Greg, I don't know what the material is, but here's instructions via Axiom on how to paint them.

Cam, I'm pretty sure that article is only for the grills on the in/on wall and in cabinet speakers. It looks like they have different grills than the reg lineup which I think Greg is wanting, maybe someone can clarify.
Posted By: Jc Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 12:08 AM
All Axiom fabric grilles use the same cloth material which varies only colour wise. I don't know its exact composition and I'm afraid that it might be a trade secret. I will look for the information and let you know.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 01:42 AM
Maybe that dog with the secret to the Bushes Baked Beans sauce knows this too?
Posted By: GregLee Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile

Oh wait, just saw your sig list. That would be a lot of grills.

Well, it's not quite that bad. It's only the M22s, the 4 QS8s, and the EP500 grilles that need to be blackened. Still, Axiom prices for grilles are pretty steep, and I'm pretty tight with money.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 04:30 AM
Can you just purchase the fabric from an audio supplier and recover the frames?
Posted By: GregLee Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 04:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Can you just purchase the fabric from an audio supplier and recover the frames?

I suppose I could. But it's a lot of work --- each QS8 has four grilles and I have four QS8s, so that's 16 grilles already.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 11:14 AM
So you want it to get done with no cost and no effort? grin
Posted By: BobKay Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 04:40 PM
Greg: Don't use RIT dyes. They're incredibly unstable.

Go to a craft store and ask for the fabric dyes that are used in cold water. It's not as simple as it sounds, but the results are actually what we THINK RIT will do. Their intensity and saturation properties are mucho potent.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 04:42 PM
Oh, and, if you look carefully, there are fabric dyes that come in spray cans. They were popular in the 60's and 70's, so I hear. Though, these days, you may need to read and write Chinese in order to buy them online. I don't know.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 05:14 PM
and Bob comes through again. smile

Is there no end to the knowledge around here?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Is there no end to the knowledge around here?

Mark ......... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh grin wink
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 05:45 PM
LOL.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 05:54 PM
Actually, Mark and his room are responsible for both the peaks and the troughs in our knowledge standing wave; however, when summed up they cancel out.

So, thanks for nothing, Mark!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 05:59 PM
grin
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 06:47 PM
Well, at least I peaked at one point! smile
Posted By: GregLee Re: Grill cloth material? - 01/24/11 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Greg: Don't use RIT dyes.

I did use black RIT dye on some other grilles, and they looked fine for a couple of weeks, but then they turned brown. I also had the problem that the plastic-y frameworks of the grilles didn't like to be boiled in the dye solution -- they got distorted.

I'll look for cold water dyes -- thanks for the suggestion. I also ordered some black dye that is specially for polyester, since that was my first guess about the material of the Axiom grilles (but it has to be applied hot).
© Axiom Message Boards