Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mariouzzi EP350v3 problem - 03/04/11 11:42 PM
Last night I was awoken by a high pitched noise and some clicking. I walked over to the sub and the light by the auto on/active switch was flashing red. I switched it to active which made it stop so I could go back to sleep. However, upon watching a movie it still flashed red and the sub had a rhythmic thump (same timing as the clicking). I tried turning it off and on, same problem. There was no storm last night, no power outage, and the sub is connected to a surge protector/power center. Any thoughts as to what went wrong?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/05/11 12:21 AM
The sub should not be making any sounds while it is in standby. When playing music or a movie the light on the back of the sub should be green as well.

You should make an inquiry to the support staff at Axiom regarding a possible problem with the amplifier on the sub. Almost always these types of problems are amp related.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/05/11 12:29 AM
I sent an email regarding the problem as well.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/05/11 12:33 AM
In the meantime while you wait, unplug the power cord on the EP350 from the power center/surge protector and leave it unplugged for a few hours. Plug it back in after that time and turn the switch back to auto/on and then try some music or a movie.

If it is still the same, leave the sub unplugged until you have this issue resolved with Axiom.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/05/11 02:16 AM
What type of power center are you using? It's generally not recommended to plug your subwoofer into one because of the possibility of an in-rush, which may have happened to your EP350.

I know Axiom recommends that you don't connect their subwoofers to power centers, because of this.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/05/11 03:38 AM
yup, my subs are plugged right into the wall outlet. I would also try unplugging it for 10-20 min and try again.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 05:28 AM
I never heard of this "in rush " phenomenon... Gar. Anyways, I'm working with support to resolve this, thanks for the input.
Posted By: Wid Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 02:58 PM

Don't worry about this "in rush". I've had various subs from 4 or 5 different makers plugged into a surge protector, none of them ever had a problem. Sounds like hog wash to me.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 03:33 PM
If the same things are still occurring (both plugged into a regular outlet and the power center), you need a new amp. It's that simple. You say it is a V3 so it should be covered under warranty.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 03:33 PM

Posted By: fredk Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: sirquack

Nice new piece 'o gear you got there. What's the inrush current?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: wid

Don't worry about this "in rush". I've had various subs from 4 or 5 different makers plugged into a surge protector, none of them ever had a problem. Sounds like hog wash to me.

Rick, I had an APC customer support rep. also tell me that the in-rush can cause problems.
Posted By: Wid Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 09:08 PM

Most surge protectors should use some type of soft start as does most amps. Where does this "in rush" come to play?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/06/11 09:35 PM
More than you ever wanted to know: http://sound.westhost.com/articles/inrush.htm

A surge protector (or power conditioner) should not incorporate any sort of current limiting. But in fact many do, especially the conditioners. The inrush should be controlled by the device pulling the power, but in many cases is not part of the design.
Posted By: NuKeM Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/07/11 01:44 PM
So I am about to buy a 5.1 system from Axiom and have just been reading through the forums about the speakers I have chosen to purchase when I came upon this topic regarding the EP350v3. I am confused on what this "in-rush" issue is. My power center/conditioner (Panamax - 11-Outlet Power Conditioner/Surge Protector Model: M5300-PM) specifically has a plug-in for the sub-woofer. This whole thread has me confused on a technical aspect as to whether I use my Panamax outlet or the wall outlet (which I do not have available unless I move the sub away from the front channels to the back wall).
Posted By: SRoode Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/07/11 02:14 PM
William,

I read the specs on your conditioner. Bank 5 is your high current plug specifically designed for things like subs. It is not current limited, so it would be fine to plug your sub into that bank.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/08/11 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By: NuKeM
This whole thread has me confused on a technical aspect as to whether I use my Panamax outlet or the wall outlet (which I do not have available unless I move the sub away from the front channels to the back wall).

There's always the possibility the sub would work better at the back wall position, have you tried the sub crawl?
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/21/11 10:47 PM
Well, my new cabinet and amp arrived and the 350 is back to working order. Only problem is I had the old 500 cabinet (now they share with 125 and 175). So my grill doesn't fit (they use magnets now) and I had to steal a 1/4" phone adapter to plug it in.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/21/11 10:57 PM
Also, in relation to the inrush debacle, should I plug my sub into the wall or the power center? It is in the dedicated sub outlet, and remember my problem occurred randomly at 4 am when nothing was in use (I was asleep) and there were no power surges/ electrical storms or anything. It's a Monster Power HDP 2500 power center by the way.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/21/11 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: mariouzzi
It's a Monster Power HDP 2500 power center by the way.

Hmm, would Monster sue him just because used the word Monster here in the forums?
Probably eh?
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350v3 problem - 03/22/11 12:36 AM
Oh crap. And I tested it out watching Monsters Inc on Blu-ray while drinking a Monster energy drink.
© Axiom Message Boards