Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade How loud can the M2's play? - 03/14/11 06:18 AM
I looked at the frequency response graph and they are flat at 85db. Do they play louder than that? Or is 85 the loudest they play and still sound good?

I typically listen at around 75db
Posted By: JohnK Re: How loud can the M2's play? - 03/14/11 07:36 AM
No, that graph is simply shown at the standard 1 watt input level(at 75dB slightly less than a tenth of a watt is used). It isn't at that SPL because that's a maximum "clean" output. The question can't be answered with precision because the amount of speaker distortion which becomes objectionable varies with the type of music(more complex orchestral music masks distortion better than a solo instrument)and with individual sensitivities.

If, distortion aside, the question instead meant how loud it could play without suffering permanent damage, that would be well over 100dB.
Posted By: alan Re: How loud can the M2's play? - 03/14/11 01:38 PM
Hi lamp,

If you scroll down on the following link, you'll see an older NRC test of a single M2ti back in 2002 done by Soundstage.com of THD at a high input level --- 90 dB SPL at two meters (a little more than 6 feet away). That's approaching the "very loud" level, and the rise in THD shows you the effect of a small woofer "working hard", unaided by a subwoofer.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/axiom_m2i/

Distortion is still under control and might be audible as a "fat" kind of mushiness or coloration in the bass region below 500 Hz. If you added a subwoofer and repeated the measurement, the THD would be reduced but not totally eliminated.

In past NRC tests of speakers for the magazines I edited in Canada, the test would be repeated at 95 dB SPL (that's very loud subjectively) and if distortion was excessive, we'd discontinue the measurement. That was the case for most compact 2-way bookshelf speakers.

So the M2 still has lots of headroom for loud playback of musical peaks without excessive distortion.

Alan
Posted By: Lampshade Re: How loud can the M2's play? - 03/14/11 03:02 PM
Thank you, good buddies, John and Alan. I have some M3's coming for my bedroom and I have been trying to figure out what to do in my livingroom.
© Axiom Message Boards