Axiom Home Page
Posted By: keatingtexas center channel placement - 03/18/11 04:22 PM
This might be a dumb question but is it ok to place your TV on the center channel itself? The VP180 is 17" and that is deep enough for my TV's base to rest on.
Posted By: keatingtexas Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 04:24 PM
Nevermind, I see now that the back of the cabinet tapers. So...how do most people place their center channel? Is it advisable to use the mount that is sold by axion?
Posted By: bdpf Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 04:31 PM
I have mine on my TV stand with the TV wall mounted. You can either do that or use their stands http://www.axiomaudio.com/fms180.html .
The VP180 is too heavy to be wall mounted.
Posted By: Jc Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 04:49 PM
Hi,

To wall mount it you need to build a deep sturdy shelf. I have one of my VP180 hanging down from the ceiling above my front projection screen.
Posted By: bdpf Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 05:10 PM
WOW, I'd like to see a pic of that! Did you use chains?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 05:12 PM
Aximoe in Chains. Worst..... Seattle....Band.....EVER.
Posted By: medic8r Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 05:23 PM
laugh
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 05:41 PM
grin grin
Posted By: medic8r Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 06:37 PM
My band's name:

Smiley Arms Race
Posted By: shoeless Re: center channel placement - 03/18/11 06:57 PM
JC,

How elevated is your center channel? If it is above your projector screen, it must be pretty high. Any trouble angling it down to your listening area?
Posted By: Jc Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 12:09 AM
It is a few inches from the ceiling and I'm using turnbuckles so I can dial in the required angle aiming at the seated listeners' ear level of the second tier.

The ceiling and walls are all black, the speaker is black and I painted all the hardware in black. Regardless of the lighting use a decent photo is not possible.
Posted By: J. B. Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 02:36 AM
JC,

that means you don't use a bias light behind the TV? i'm surprised.
there is a very good thread about this in AVS Forums.
Posted By: Jc Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 02:56 AM
Using a front projector you need to completel yeliminate all possible light sources except the projector of course. Ideally, you should not be able to see your hand in front of your face when the lights and the projector are off.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 03:23 AM
I believe one of us on the customer counsel asked Ian long ago before the 180 was released and Peter was in charge of the calls, about suspending it upside down using the existing threaded inserts. I believe the answer was no problem.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 03:31 AM
Later info from Axiom said that was a bad idea. I know that someone talked about it on the call, but that was apparently inaccurate info.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 03:48 AM
hmmm, guess I missed that. I would assume using threaded hardware with appropriate strength, I see JC mentions turnbuckles? for his setup it should work. I guess you would have to trust the inserts would not pull through the mdf.

In regards to lighting, bias lighting has been discussed on this forum. I would never use that behind my screen, like some use for TV's, however, I disagree with JC in regards to having no ambient light anyware in the room. Idealy, there is nothing wrong with having dim lighting behind or off to the sides, not affecting your direct view of the image. Even professional theaters have rope lighting, and other dim ambient lighting. Try looking at a remote with only projector light.
Posted By: grunt Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 05:10 AM
Quote:

Using a front projector you need to completel yeliminate all possible light sources except the projector of course. Ideally, you should not be able to see your hand in front of your face when the lights and the projector are off.

To have or not have any ambient light is a matter of personal preference and what you are looking for in your HT. If you are trying to create a “Movie Theater” like experience then some ambient light is necessary. However, if you are looking for the best possible picture quality and immersion (suspension of disbelief) then total blackout is the way to go. My preference is total blackout, but it’s not for everyone.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 05:59 AM
The need for a bias light diminishes as screen size increases. The problem with a screen that doesn't completely fill your field of view is that it tends to act like a flash light beam pointed across the room right into your eyes. With larger screens you don't have that large blackness with a small bright light in the middle.
Posted By: grunt Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The need for a bias light diminishes as screen size increases. The problem with a screen that doesn't completely fill your field of view is that it tends to act like a flash light beam pointed across the room right into your eyes. With larger screens you don't have that large blackness with a small bright light in the middle.

Thanks for that info Chris. I always wondered why I never get a headache watching my projection screen 16 hours a day all weekend when my 56” HDTV would give me problems in just one day. I always thought it was the distance and the fact that I’m loosing my near vision.
Posted By: RickF Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: sirquack
hmmm, I guess you would have to trust the inserts would not pull through the mdf.

Keeping Newf's VP150 falling off the wall experience in mind (but primarily using my own common sense) I'd personally be very reluctant to hang a $720, 56.8 lb speaker straight down from the ceiling using four small threaded into MDF inserts.

But that's just me.
Posted By: J. B. Re: center channel placement - 03/19/11 11:47 AM
i had forgotten that J-C had a projection screen and not a TV-Monitor.
Posted By: shoeless Re: center channel placement - 03/21/11 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Jc
It is a few inches from the ceiling and I'm using turnbuckles so I can dial in the required angle aiming at the seated listeners' ear level of the second tier.The ceiling and walls are all black, the speaker is black and I painted all the hardware in black. Regardless of the lighting use a decent photo is not possible.

How steep an angle does that speaker height require? Any trouble with blending it to the rest of your front speaker set up? Can you identify the location of the speaker from your listening area, or is it pretty seamless? Thanks
© Axiom Message Boards