Axiom Home Page
Posted By: morange Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/13/11 03:19 PM
Hello,

I am installing 2 conductor flat wire, but made an error in calculation on distance. I am running the wire under baseboards. In order to extend the distance, Is it possible to connect 2 ends of flat wire together in a compact way? And if so, do you have any hints or recommendations on this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Murray smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/13/11 03:22 PM
If it was me, I'd solder it. Then just put some electrical tape around it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/13/11 03:37 PM
You can but shrink connectors now at Home Depot, Menards, etc. Basically they look like a Butt connector, but have solder inside. Works like a charm, just put the wires in each end, untwisted so the strands integrate, then heat with a heat gun or blow driver (if hot enough).
Posted By: morange Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/13/11 03:55 PM
Thanks CatBrat and Randy for the tips. Randy - I will lokk into the shrink connectors.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/13/11 04:02 PM
I just used a Wagnor heat gun for drying paint, but you want to keep it moving so you don't over cook the shrink stuff. smile I think they make speacial heat devices for this stuff.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/14/11 12:57 AM
No special devices to heat the stuff that I am aware of, but there is an adapter for heat guns, butane powered solder guns, etc. that curl around the connector to spread out the heat all at once.
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: Flat wire speaker wire installation - 04/14/11 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: morange
Hello,

I am installing 2 conductor flat wire, but made an error in calculation on distance. I am running the wire under baseboards. In order to extend the distance, Is it possible to connect 2 ends of flat wire together in a compact way? And if so, do you have any hints or recommendations on this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Murray smile

i recommend that you bite the bullet, remeasure, add a foot or two to that second measurement and purchase and install that. don't start off your installation with mistakes or splices; every point of connection is a potential point of failure, don't add them where they do not need to be! NO SPLICES, don't do it!
© Axiom Message Boards