Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom_man OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 06:40 PM
what now will I do
Posted By: Adrian Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 08:36 PM
I thought HG Cherry was one of the most popular of the custom finishes(I may be mistaken).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 09:13 PM
Probably stealing too many sales from the VaSSallo line. Or a problem with sourcing.
Posted By: bdpf Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 09:19 PM
That must be very recent. Somebody (DanielBMe) just got his M80s in HGC a few days ago. I would give Axiom a call.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 10:38 PM
I think it has been gone for some time.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 10:48 PM
No, it was there to select yesterday. I check everyday wink
Posted By: SirQuack Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/02/11 10:56 PM
I must be thinking of another finish. There was another high gloss finish that was discontinued about a year ago, and it was one of the most popular.
Posted By: wilwom Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: axiom_man

Let me be the first to thank you for checking on this everyday, and for letting us know so quickly. I for one will rest easier tonight knowing you are so vigilant.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 12:27 AM

Wilwom, 2x6spds wants his avatar back. laugh
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 12:57 AM
Yeh, there was another gloss there last year .....
forget what it was also .....

nope Burle something it was
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: wilwom
Originally Posted By: axiom_man

Let me be the first to thank you for checking on this everyday, and for letting us know so quickly. I for one will rest easier tonight knowing you are so vigilant.

yeh, WhatEver
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 02:13 AM
HG Burled Walnut.
Posted By: jakewash Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 02:55 AM
And to my knowledge it wasn't very popular amongst the full speaker line up. I it was more popular with Audiobytes.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 06:03 AM
Let's see, the beautiful high gloss cherry finish is gone, but instead, we have the new and hideous Magenta High gloss, Paintable Finish, Brushed Silver and Charcoal Smoke.

What happened? Someone intent on messing Axiom speakers with the ugly stick?
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 10:40 AM
got my answer from Axiom frown
HGC was discontinued due to low demand.
Great, comon Magenta ...I guess I will take my speakers of the market now and wait til I raise the extra to order real wood Cherry
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 10:00 PM
I have always thought of the HGC as the best looking bang for buck finish Axiom offers. This is surprising. After seeing many beautiful photos of that finish I regret not choosing it as I look at my Boston Cherry.

As for magenta. Now that is a colour that would be in low demand on speakers.
Posted By: bdpf Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/03/11 10:50 PM
I think Axiom got inspired by Lampy's M3s laugh
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 10:55 AM
It sucks cause I really wanted it, for my living room set. But, it could be that ***shh *** they are going like the politians, and telling you one thing when leading you to another, in that it was really a hot seller. But, now that it is not available you have to get it in real wood at $400 more. I think it was $1800 for the M80's in HGC , now it is $2200 for real wood HGC.
Wonder if there is a difference in the sound of a M80 in MDF or wood? doubt it or atleast my ears won't know.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 11:06 AM
There shouldn't be any sound difference. The "real wood" offerings are veneer over MDF, which is the preferred material for speakers due to sound deadening qualities. (The vinyl finishes are over the same MDF).
Posted By: alan Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 12:22 PM
Hi all,

There isn't any conspiracy about the removeal of HGC from the custom options. Not only was there a low demand, but, in the words of Steve, my colleague at Axiom, who does a zillion things at the plant including running those computer-driven saws, the reasons it's dicontinued are: "poor supply, low demand, high cost, and very poor quality".

There has always been a problem going back as long as I can remember of sourcing high-quality HGC.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: alan Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 01:13 PM
BlueJays,

Yes, I always thought the HGC was terrific-looking. And, according to Steve, it isn't entirely gone. We'll continue to offer the HGC as a custom finish option for the Audiobyte computer speakers and the smallest on-wall speakers, the M0 Accent.

The high-gloss magenta finish garnered lots of positive feedback in another thread. It's a "feminine" finish and may appeal to lots of women who would otherwise ban Axioms from their domain.

Alan
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
There shouldn't be any sound difference. The "real wood" offerings are veneer over MDF, which is the preferred material for speakers due to sound deadening qualities. (The vinyl finishes are over the same MDF).

What !!! so the real wood isn't real wood either ???
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 04:15 PM
Yes, it's real woof veneer. The term you're probably thinking of is "solid wood", and you don't want solid wood for speaker enclosures.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Yes, it's real woof veneer.

It's OK to let your dog have an influence on you, but not on your speech.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 04:33 PM
Maybe I LIKE talking Ruff.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 04:45 PM
Well then WTH were you when that's what I was looking for? Don't waste my time with that crap NOW!
Jeesh.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 05:11 PM
With all the appeal of pink Cadillacs, Axiom stumbles down the road of political correctness and offers a feminized line of speakers with the most hideous finish - Glossy magenta - gag.

I suppose the metalic grey is supposed to be the masculine alternative. Similarly, ugly.

High gloss cherry is beautiful. I picked up a pair of M3s for a friend with this wonderful finish. The HGC M3s sure look like they have a real wood finish and arrived blemish free.

Please let us know how many of the magenta finish speakers you actually ship. I'm willing to bet you're talking about 1 pair a year. No offense Blue Jay, I know the lengths men will go to keep their wives happy.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 05:47 PM
Magenta would work in the bedroom of that teenager going through that pink colour phase but wives objection or concern to men buying speakers is usually in the footprint, the finish to an extent (it must blend/match). WAF doesn't want speakers in their living room sticking out like a sore thumb and that is exactly what magenta high gloss does. It is simply decor and gender limited.

That's why those itty, bitty black cubes are so successful through good marketing. Very small footprint that blends (disappears?) into any room.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 08:56 PM
So, the HGC what stain was on that ?? was in Nutmeg ?
Think maybe I will go with Russian Maple, not to fussy about paying a few hundred more for veneer.

damng
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 09:04 PM
Email or call axiom. They would have the specific details on the finishes.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 09:05 PM
The HGC wasn't stained, it was vinyl.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 09:11 PM
HGC was not a real wood finish - was custom vinyl.

In real wood finishes, I like the Cherry with Chestnut stain, and Rosewood in any stain (Bordeaux, Chestnut, Red, Coffee, Nutmeg and natural).

The HGC was the only vinyl finish which matched the real wood finishes.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/04/11 11:59 PM
Yeh I know it wasn't stained, but the vinyl simulated a stained Cherry wood. Just want to know what stained Cherry it resembled.

I like the Nutmeg and Bordeaux
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/05/11 12:43 AM
Sad that 2 of my favorite finish colors are gone. I had my mind made on a pair of M3's on Burled Walnut finish but for my disappointment when picking colors on check out just realized it is gone. For that reason went with something else. Even though that my main concern on the speakers should be the sound since that finish came off I have been dreaming of getting some speakers on that color. Just when I decided... that was not a choice no longer. frown
Posted By: terzaghi Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/05/11 01:54 AM
My current favorite is the natural rosewood. I want a pair of bookshelves in that stain some day.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/19/11 07:44 PM
I'm so happy I got the very last pair of M80's in HGC! smile

That sounded so good I'll say it again..the very last pair of M80's in HGC smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/19/11 07:59 PM
I WOULD HAVE bought them.... if Adrian wanted them.
Posted By: Murph Re: OMG no more HGC ;( - 05/26/11 06:11 PM
I'm glad. Now maybe I won't want them so much when people post pictures.
© Axiom Message Boards