Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Yoshio Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/20/11 02:56 AM
Hi all, I just bought a pair of M3s for my Realistic Stereo SE EL84 tube amp (the M3s were recommended by the audio expert). These will only be used for audio, but an eclectic mix of rock, jazz, and classical. The audio sources will be a computer and a CD player. The amp puts out 8 WPC, and this system is in a relatively tight space (8' x 12', approximately). I have two questions:

1. Any recommendations on gauge/resistance of speaker wire?
2. Any recommendations on an inexpensive equalizer?

Thanks!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/20/11 03:23 AM
Yoshio, welcome. It appears that the length of your speaker wire runs(the most significant factor)might be only around five feet, and 18ga lamp cord would be entirely sufficient for that. For more detailed information on that topic, study the table of wire gauge suggestions and the general speaker wire information in this excellent explanation by a veteran audio professional.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/20/11 04:07 AM
Why do you assume you will need an equalizer? Give the M3's a shot as is and go from there.
Posted By: Yoshio Re: Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/20/11 10:18 PM
@JohnK, thanks for the recommendation and that awesome link. You are correct about wire length.

@terzaghi, I'm not sure I completely understand, but I'll definitely give it a try w/out an equalizer! I'd rather not spend the money; the only concern I have is shaping the audio around the particular type of music. I have a pair of Sennheiser pro-sumer grade headphones, and I definitely used an EQ with them. My iphone, which will be my source for digital music, does not have an equalizer (much to my annoyance).
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/21/11 03:26 AM
The producer/engineer has already applied liberal amounts of EQing during mixing/mastering, as he/she saw fit for the particular type of music. All you really need is a linear set of speakers (like those made by Axiom) to accurately reproduce what the artists and those working for them intended you to hear.
Posted By: Murph Re: Speaker wire and graphic equalizer? - 06/21/11 11:58 AM
Of course there are some people who like their music a certain way, despite what the producer intended. Most of us here strive for accuracy but we should remember people can also have personal tastes too. Also, not all producers do good work. I've been tempted to tweak some of my recordings but in the end I don't out of laziness, plus I know once I start doing that, I'll never be happy.

Personal tastes are subjective if you are not looking for a purist experience. In short, whatever makes you happy, is the correct answer.
© Axiom Message Boards