Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Pureaudio Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 06:17 PM
Hi. I want to know if anyone knows what is the "audible" difference and not the physical difference / upgrades between the version two’s and three’s in any model speaker, especially the m3’s.

Thanks.
Posted By: fhw Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 06:52 PM
I have both versions of the M3 (one of them is a pair of outdoor speakers). Admittedly, I haven't compared them A/B, but I've found no noticeable difference in everyday listening, across different music genres.

From what I understand, the biggest differences can be heard on the M80 and the QS4 (which now uses the 1" tweeter--the original had a 0.75"), although Alan would be the one to verify this.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 07:28 PM
Physical difference is easy; the v3s have magentic grills and aluminium dust caps, although I think you can request black dust caps if you're a current owner and need them to match.

Audio, it varies from model to model and depending on when the v2s were built. Not major, just slight improvements. I think the major changes could be heard from the ti (v1) to the v3s, particularly on the M80s.

Disclaimer: I have not compared v2 to v3 of the same model back to back, although I own v2 M80s and v3 M22 onwalls.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 10:32 PM
I wish we had sticky's on common questions that come up all the time. smile

Maybe we should have a FAQ section.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 10:36 PM
How would we keep our post counts up, Randy?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/27/11 10:41 PM
very valid point. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/28/11 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
How would we keep our post counts up, Randy?

Beer thread.

Edit: That should go in the FAQ.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/28/11 12:10 AM
Snerk.
Posted By: alan Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/28/11 12:19 PM
Hi Pureaudio,

Not much to add to the accurate comments from Ken C and others here, except to say that the new titanium tweeter in the v3s produces a slightly more spacious and deeper soundstage than the previous tweeter of earlier models. In my listening tests, it was most noticeable in the M80 v3, the M60 v3, the M3 v3 and the M22 v3. I didn't do comparisons of the M2 v2 vs the M2 v3.

The newer tweeter along with the slightly tweaked crossover in the M60 v3 also brought smoother midrange response in the M60 v3 over the M60 v2. These changes are fairly subtle but certainly audible in a blind instantaneous A/B comparison. The smoother mids in the M60 v3s were immediately noticeable on male and female and operatic vocals plus brass instruments and reeds like sax.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Pureaudio Re: Version 3 and 2 Difference in sound - 07/28/11 03:29 PM
Thank you all for the very helpful comments. I highly appreciate it.
© Axiom Message Boards