Axiom Home Page
Posted By: agentfox1942 elevating M60's - 09/12/11 05:31 PM
is it ok to place floor standing speakers in an elevated position? Say 31" above the floor, essentially like a bookshelf?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 05:36 PM
Well, only if you don't have earthquakes. Uh, wait...
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 05:38 PM
yeah, isn't that the truth..lol. Who would have thought it here in our neck of the woods. It's all the fracking....lol
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 06:40 PM
You can do whatever looks and sounds good to you.

But, you know, safety first.
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 06:55 PM
what I was wondering was acoustics or performance downgrades. Does elevating them affect the performance?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 07:06 PM
The issues you could run in to would be similar to if you moved them closer or further away from a side wall, closer to or further from a back wall, more toe in, less toe in, or even if you put them into a different room... Room acoustics may pose a problem. Then again, it may make them sound better. It isn't an issue with the speaker, but how the sound coming from the speaker is reflected and absorbed in the room, how corners "boost" or "cancel" sound waves, etc.

Experimentation with placement is something that we all (should) do to some degree anyway. Starting off the ground a bit just means that you have a different starting point.

Good luck!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 07:20 PM
the tweeters normally need to be at ear level when seated. why would you want to do that anyway?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 10:56 PM
Maybe he is listening while on a step stool?
Posted By: RickF Re: elevating M60's - 09/12/11 11:43 PM
There was a fellow here several years ago who had his M80s hanging from his ceiling using chains and aimed towards the listening position, I remember him telling me that they sounded extremely good. He posted some pictures but I imagine they are buried way back in the archives someplace, you may want to try to do a search of the Axiom site ... he also had an infinite baffle subwoofer installed.

I would have loved to have heard that system.
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: elevating M60's - 09/13/11 01:04 AM
If I could figure out how to post a picture, I'd show you my setup. My TV is mounted above my fireplace with custom built in cabinets on both sides of the stack. So putting floor standing speakers in the mix would really take up some real estate. I do have the shelf of the cabinets where I was thinking of putting the M22v3, but I'm afraid the should will not be "full" enough. I compare the M60's to the Paradigm SE-3's and I like the sound of them. I have a Hsu VTF-3 MK4 sub to cover the low ends.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: elevating M60's - 09/13/11 01:35 AM
If you have a digital camera and can copy your pictures to your computer, you can upload them to Axioms website in the gallery area. Or, there are free websites like photobucket that you can upload your images to, and then copy/paste the image tag for that photo into your posts on here.
Posted By: Argon Re: elevating M60's - 09/13/11 11:27 AM
Sounds like a question for bBiggy to me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: elevating M60's - 09/13/11 11:43 AM
Can you do in cabinet T60s or T80s?
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: elevating M60's - 09/13/11 02:46 PM
I thought about the in-cabinet route, but I'd need more detailed drawing specs to be sure. and I'd have to remove drawers the like from the cabinets.
© Axiom Message Boards