Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dapman Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:22 AM
Just connected my 350 sub but not working has power but is not putting out any sound

I have a denon 3310 and have it conected with a single coax cable to the sub

I went throuth the setup on the reciever but still nothing
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:26 AM
Is it plugged into the Receivers "Pre Outs" Subwoofer jack, or the "Ext In" Subwoofer jack. Do you have he volume (gain) knob on the back of the sub turned up some?
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:36 AM
It is plugged into the pre out jack with a single cable and yes I turned the volume knob up
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:39 AM
The usual tests would be (and please tell me if I've missed some, my sub isn't working since it got moved across country)

1. Reseat the adapter.
2. Plug a CD player or MP3 player directly into the sub and see if you get anything (turn it down, first)
3. Hook speaker cables into the high level input from your receiver (again, turn down the sub before you play anything!)

I assume when you say it's got power, it's got a green light on the back?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:40 AM
Check to make sure in the receiver settings the sub is set to yes/on and the speakers are set to small and not large.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 02:42 AM
Has this ever worked, or is this a first time setup? You might need to go into the "setup" menu for the speakers, and make sure "Subwoofer" is turned to Yes or On.
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 04:08 AM
I have all the settings as you descrbe but still nothing

I will contact Denon
Posted By: JohnK Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 08:19 AM
Larry, there might be no reason to contact Denon. Did you try the speaker wire connection as Ken suggested? If you still got no sound from the sub the apparent problem would be with the sub, not the receiver.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 05:31 PM
You might try unplugging the sub for a couple of minutes from the outlet, that has been known to fix strange issues. Or, if you have another older receiver you could try to rule out the sub.
Posted By: alan Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/09/11 05:36 PM
Good point, Sir Quack, and if he doesn't have a CD player or MP3 player, he could unplug the sub cable from the Sub Out pre-out and just touch the center prong on the RCA jack. If the subwoofer amp is working, you'll get a loud buzz from the subwoofer. If no buzz or low-frequency hum when you touch the center prong, then the subwoofer amp is at fault. The sub has to be ON, of course, to do this test.

Alan
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/10/11 01:38 AM
I unpluged the rca jack and touched the end of the plug and got a buzz, the volume on the sub had to be all the way up to get the buzz
Posted By: JohnK Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/10/11 02:19 AM
That indicates that the sub amp is at least partially operable, but again, hook up one of your main speaker wires to the sub instead(disconnect the coaxial cable)and play some bass heavy material with the low-pass filter on the sub at the highest setting.
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/12/11 03:55 AM
I talked to Denon He went through the speaker settings and had me change the crossover to 120hz. In the chanel level he had me change the sub to +5.0 durring the test the sub runbled loud. The volume on the sub is 3/4 up.

He told me that if I am not getting much bass then the problem could be in the recievers procesor and would need to be taken to be serviced.
So my question is are these setings normal or high. I don't hear much bass when watching tv I get more from music. I guess I was expecting more from a sub this size.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/12/11 11:00 AM
3/4 up seems very high to me. How large is your room?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/12/11 12:30 PM
All rooms are different, but my 350's volume knob on the back is around half way, and after running setup with the mic, the receiver levels for the 350 come in around -1dB.

Not sure what crossover your referring to, each speaker? Or, the knob on the back of the sub? In that case you want that set to the highest setting since your using the receiver settings for bass management.
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/13/11 01:32 AM
The sub is set to 180
In the set up under speakers you can change the crossover or bass.

The room is 20x20

How much bass should I expect from Tv I guess it depends on the broadcast
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/13/11 02:22 PM
I understand that you can set the crossover in the setup menu for each speaker, but there really isn't a "crossover" for a sub. I think you are referring to the Low Pass Filter, for whatever reason, receiver manufacturers call this a crossover for the sub. Anyway, 120HZ is ok for that, as some movie material "may" go up into that region.
Posted By: dapman Re: Subwoofer hook up - 10/15/11 05:05 AM
I ran the audyssey setup and it seem to make a difference. So I decided to put in Transformers movie and the house was shaking so all is good now.

Thanks for all your help
© Axiom Message Boards