Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adelin awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 06:27 PM
Hello i just bought a pair of axiom m80.
I need 44,3 feet of cable per speacker.(88,6 total lenght of cable)

That's a long cable run i know about it.

I think i will attach them to the wall with cable raceways or maybe special screws.

should i go for 14 awg gauge in wall axiom cable or bulk 12 ?

Thanks a lot.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 06:32 PM
I'm not a cable expert, but here's my $.02.. I'd use the Axiom 12 gauge cable. It's good and it's flexable. I'd buy a little more than what you measured. Nothing like later finding out you really needed about 6 inches longer. You might find a better way to run the wire that takes a couple of feet more. If I need 3 feet, I buy 5 instead. More options later down the road.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 06:38 PM
i already added 3,3,280839895013123 for each cables just in case i make mistakes cutting and adjusting those for my speackers and amp.

12,50m needed +1m extra cable.(x2)

it's just black cables on white walls if i don't use a white cable raceway should look kinda strange.

Thhanks CatBrat
Posted By: CatBrat Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 06:49 PM
If at all possible, I would fish the cable through the walls in any vertical location. Perhaps coming out just above the baseboards near the floor.

Or perhaps use some sort of wall plate with connecters to plug the speakers into.
Posted By: J. B. Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 07:01 PM
you can't go wrong with 12 gauge.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/28/11 07:19 PM
My room baseboards are full of electrical wires (230v 60hz) that is a bit boring.

Posted By: Chevy Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/31/11 05:22 PM
12 awg is the best for our buck !!!
is used 12 awg everywhere on my HT system.

i used 12 awg AXIOM (in bulk) i like it, (very flexible, but not cheap) usefull for long run with thight curve.

and i also used 12 awg generic brand names (cheaper & less flexible) for running where it's easy.

i stongly recommend you to use 12 awg espacialy for the long run mentionned.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 12/31/11 07:34 PM
Houah!
I bought almost 100 feet of bulk 12" cables and m80v3 speackers.
command at axiom : 28
Dec 31, 2011 7:38 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
PARIS FR
Dec 31, 2011 4:37 AM
Departed FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
Dec 31, 2011 4:32 AM
In transit
MEMPHIS, TN
Dec 31, 2011 1:34 AM
Departed FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
Dec 30, 2011 10:54 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
Dec 30, 2011 10:00 PM
In transit
MISSISSAUGA, ON
Dec 30, 2011 8:15 PM
In transit
MISSISSAUGA, ON
Dec 30, 2011 6:15 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
BARRIE, ON
Dec 30, 2011 5:53 PM
In transit
BARRIE, ON
Dec 30, 2011 3:33 PM
Picked up
BARRIE, ON
Dec 30, 2011 2:27 PM
Shipment information sent to FedEx

I will receive it in the next days.
that's pretty fast.

Thanks axiom smile
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/02/12 06:14 AM
it's already inside the fedex truck at local hub, i'm pretty excited can't wait more :p

Happy new year smile
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/02/12 10:04 AM
I have them in my home.
Really good speackers.
Classical music jazz..
This is what i wanted to hear for years smile
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/02/12 03:16 PM
Congratulations, Adelin! Glad you like your new speakers.

Axiom's bulk speaker cable is some of the best I've come across. Very flexible and easy to work with.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/04/12 03:04 AM
this is a detail and i'm fine actually with my setup wink

but:

i have a parallelogram room.

if i try to place my speacker at same distance from the rear wall (width side) i get a 10 inch lenght difference between my left and right speacker.

I would like to know if i should keep thing as it or try to position my speackers on a virtual line perpendicular to my wall lenght ?

thanks a lot wink
Posted By: JohnK Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/04/12 05:47 AM
Blanchard, good to hear how you're enjoying your new Axioms. As to placing your M80s, I understand what you mean and the difference isn't crucial, but I'd suggest having them equally distant from the main listening position, even if they're then at slightly different distances from the wall behind.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/04/12 10:59 AM
hello

Thanks for the advice Johnk.

Stereo image is improved while there is an almost non hearing difference in bass responcy ;must be my brain :p

i have 7.87 inch of wall consist materials like machefer/concrete even paper cement brick rocks... +a false wall just above.It's good enough to absorb railway tremor from trains there are four tracks and my worker house built in 1930 era is close to this monstrous rock wall supporting all the traffic.

I listen to pipe organ works from JS Bach and bass is deep without vibrating every furniture like my wharfedale evo 40 did.
Bass : fast 6"5, deep drivers won't distort like on my previous speackers.
110w at 4ohms harman stereo amplifier follow it if i don't push the volume.60% volume will play loud and heat will appear but it can handle it.
I was affraid by people telling me that speackers at average 4ohms was junk piece of crap burning your amp to hell but it's not.

What to say about trebbles and medium ? sound stage is not backward or forward but neutral so that's ok for everything.

Enough talking i should enjoy the music now :p

I'm laughing i forgot to remove my family name from my profile,
It's a bit strange to not be call by my firstname.It remember me my school period.
Not i dislike it but this is not friendly like so i just updated my infos smile

Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/17/12 07:08 PM
Hello,

If i need speackers to be placed in a virtual isosceles triangle from my ears position i have to put the left front speacker 20,86 inch away from one part of the wall and right speacker 11,81 inch.
This will cancel bass responce that much i hear nothing.I had same problem with my wharfedale speackers.

If i place each of my speackers 11.8 inch from back wall
20 inch from side and space between them:76 inch
All bass are back again.

room size is :
133,8 inch width where my speacker stand
126,3 width at oposite side.

(there is a kitchen just behind with an open area instead of a door on right side.)

266,5 left side lenght
267,7 right side lenght

height is 120 inch.

room look like a parallelogram but it's not lol

Any ideas out there ?

thanks

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/17/12 07:11 PM
Adelin, if I understand you correctly, one of your speakers might be out of phase.

Go back to putting them in the first position and try reversing the leads on ONE speaker only(!) and see if the bass is stronger one way or another.

If so, leave the speaker wire in the position that gives you more bass.

When the polarity of one speaker is reversed, you can lose bass because as one speaker's woofer(s) are moving out, the others are moving in...which can lead to them canceling each other out.
Posted By: Adelin Re: awg gauge , cable advice needed - 01/17/12 07:26 PM
It's not out of phase i just test it.

I tryed this java program: http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html#websites

usually moving one speacker few feet away from the wall and other stay in place there should be difference in low frequency but not disturbing too much.
In my room moving my left speacker will cancel all of my bass heard on both speackers .it look like left speacker bass are traped on rear wall and shake my first floor where i sleep but it lack anything in music room.

Maybe cause of my room corner angles ?

i think maybe the left speacker bass around 50-100hz that are excited by the narrow angle of the left corner.That's why it is more boomy.

Nah i'm back to first listening position i had good stereo image wink

Pfff i'm difficult lol

© Axiom Message Boards