Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nick B Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/18/12 09:32 PM
Will I run into any problems trying to import the CD layer into iTunes and getting it to work on my iPod?

It would be nice to have the higher fidelity SACD that I can play in my Oppo Blu-Ray player while at home, but still have the tracks on my iPod when I am away from home.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/18/12 09:54 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble doing that. In fact, inspired by your post, I've just now added my Dire Straits Brothers In Arms and Roxy Music Avalon hybrid multichannel SACDs to my iTunes.

Edit: You can probably quickly grab cover art at 600 x 600, which is nice for iTunes I find, at AlbumArtExchange.com.
Posted By: Nick B Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/19/12 03:48 PM
I was able to get the higher-than-CD quality 24/96 WAVE download of the Nine Inch Nails the Slip, back in 2008 when they were offering it for free. I can import this in iTunes. But, you cannot put any of these higher resolution tracks on the iPod, when you sync it. This is because the iPod doesn't have the capability to handle such high resolution tracks. Anyways, are you sure when you put those hybrid CD's in iTunes, it is the CD layer that you are importing? When I import songs I use AAC lossless and songs CD songs usually take up around 25 to 30 Mb. I just want to make sure that I'll be able to get the hybrid CD onto my iPod without any hassles, before I purchase it.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/19/12 09:00 PM
Quote:
Anyways, are you sure when you put those hybrid CD's in iTunes, it is the CD layer that you are importing?

Yes, my DVD drive in my PC won't play the SACD layer, so I must assume that it's the CD (Redbook) layer that it's accessing.

I did initially rip the disc into iTunes using a default import setting of 256 VBR. I've since replaced those files with Apple Lossless Audio (still .m4a files), and you're correct: a 4:30 song comes in at around 30MB.

A subsequently sync to of my iPod included these new files without incident.

FWIW, Windows Media Player is meant to be one of the few software players (AFAIK), that supports the HDCD coding, and when I played this disc in WMP11 (directly, not ripped), it displayed nothing to indicate that it was HDCD, nor did it sound any different than the same track being played in iTunes (lossless format).

IMO, "HDCD" is marketing hyperbole, in regards to audible differences. As has been said, it might be measurable, but it's not necessarily audible.
Posted By: Nick B Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/20/12 09:21 PM
Thanks for all of the time you spent checking this for me! I have ordered my Hybrid SACD.

Also, I just went with a the CD over the HDCD of another album. I couldn't justify $30 for the HDCD over roughly $10 for the CD. Now, if the album were a Blu-Ray/CD/312 kbps download, all in one I might spend $30.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/21/12 12:09 AM
No problemo. It was a good exercise.

I wouldn't ever pay a premium for the HDCD logo, but I'd gladly pay it for a good multi-channel SACD or DVD-A.

I wish that I'd bought every DVD-A that I hummed and hawed over in the store. The asking prices for some of those very discs (new, not used) now are stunningly ridiculous.
As has been discussed recently, I'm hoping that now that all the work has been done to produce multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As, I'm hoping some studios just give releasing those tracks on B-D a try!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/21/12 12:31 AM
Indeed! More like this please!
That's not a music disc, though. That's the Classic Albums series that plays on a VH-1 channel.

I very much like the series ( a documentary on the making of some of the best albums out there!), but it's not hi-resolution audio.
Posted By: Nick B Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/23/12 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Kruncher

The asking prices for some of those very discs (new, not used) now are stunningly ridiculous.

I saw a very similar ridiculous price, when I was looking to purchase a different SACD album last week. I run into these kinds of things quite often, because much of the music that I listen to is not mainstream. Also, many of the movies that I watch are away from mainstream, as well. So oftentimes I have to buy a certain movie because even Netflix doesn't carry it as a rental. Anyways, whenever you run into movies or albums that are out of print, the sellers, seem to go crazy and almost immediately the prices go from being close to the list price (or suggested retail price) up to 5 to 10 times that. I have watched a movie, for example, go out of print and watched the prices go up like this within a week or two.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Can I import Hybrid SACD into iTunes - 01/24/12 09:14 PM
You're correct, of course, Mark. My error; I linked (rather quickly) to the wrong product. It should have been this one.

Nick, the rules of supply and demand bite us every time. Well, that and price gouging.
© Axiom Message Boards